Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a Raleigh frame, aluminum, guessing late '90s or early 2000s. It looks a LOT like an R700, but isn't. Its blue with "Team Issue" on the TT and "Raleigh" on the downtube. I can't find any info on this frame, and I'm just wondering if its worth building up.

The plan would be an inexpensive build, probably used 105 and Ultegra components. I've got a Ritchey wheelset I could throw on it too, so I'm not looking to spend much to build it. Any ideas or info? Raleigh has catalogs back to 2004, and its not in those. None of the "team" Raleighs I've seen online match the paintjob on this one either.

Thoughts?

Now with photos!

· Registered
5,240 Posts
... no clues as to it's vintage... could U post a pic?

As far as build... Y knot?

Always nice to have another arrow in your quiver. Depending on the frame quality, you could go anywheres from downtube/bar end... or perhaps fixed... to whatever. Lots of options.

· Registered
232 Posts
Does the frame have Carbon seatstays?

Some of those early Y2K Raleigh Team frames were Columbus Airplane with a Carve carbon seatstay. They also had an integrated headset.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try to get a pic, but it might not happen till sometime next week.

As for downtube/barend, that's what my main ride is! 1980s steel is a wonderful thing...

Nope, no carbon, its all aluminum, with "aero" shaped tubes.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm familiar with the OLD raleigh frames, having just rebuilt a 1968 Grand Prix for my dad, and worked with him on building an early 80s Super Record.

This frame is newer, and is aluminum.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, checking the serial no. to the stuff on Sheldon Brown's site, it appears to have been made Sept. 15, 1999, probably meaning its a 2000 model (?). I'm still not able to find any info about a "team issue" frame from that time period, though.

· Registered
449 Posts
Looked at some

I looked at some Raleigh bikes around that time -- 1999 I think -- at a local shop. They had a couple different models that the salesperson said used the same frame, just different levels of components, different paint job and different numeric designation such as R700, R500 or something similar. One was primarily 105 components and the other had Ultegra. I didn't end up buying one, but they seemed like pretty decent aluminum frames, built by Kenisis according to the dealer. And the bikes were a good value for the price. I'm just guessing, but it could be the "Team Issue" was the same frame, but fitted with higher-level components, or maybe sold as a frameset instead of complete bike.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To revive an old thread...

I finally got around to finishing the build.

So far it seems to ride fairly well. I'm going to play around with stem angle, height, length and seat position to try and get an optimal position, but the first ride felt good. Coming from a steel bike, this is DEFINITELY a different feel.

Specs:
Raleigh Team Issue Frame (either 1999 or 2000 model, date code is 9/1999)
Profile Designs BRC fork
Ritchey wheelset (aero front rim, OCR aero rear rim, zero system hubs)
Shimano 105 Brifters, crank, front derailleur
Shimano Ultegra rear derailleur, brakes

Truly a budget build... All parts were used except tires, tubes, stem, and cables and wrap.

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Raleigh got a bunch of their catalogs on their website.

But yeah... Raleigh has some nice aluminum frames. Probably underrated just like everything else. But then again, I'm biased.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I looked through all their catalogs this summer when I got the frame (although I haven't checked to see if there are any other new ones since them) and couldn't find any info. I found the date code from Sheldon Brown's website, but haven't found any other info on any "team" frames from the late 90's to early 00's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.