Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been commuting to work lately by bike. A portion of it is on the Montour Trail, which cuts through the woods. As I'm going about 16MPH, a groundhog darts out in front of me and I had no time to brake. I tried jumping it and I ended up running over it. By the grace of God, I somehow stayed upright and the groundhog was stunned, but he scampered off after 20 seconds are so. The size of the groundhog was a full grown one... about 15 pounds. I never knew riding on the trail would be so dangerous! 5 minutes later, I almost ran over a rabbit. After this incident, I felt like George Costanza.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I got a small bird on monday. It landed in front of my wheel and I just ran it over. It crunched like a fieldmouse/mole/snake/lizard. I had birds go through my wheels many times in Hawaii, but with my Roval low spoke count wheels they usually just flew off leaving a few feathers.

I really try to avoid running over anything, but daily commuting tips the scales against the wildlife.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Along the MUT that I commute on, in northern VA, we have groundhogs the size of small(or larger) dogs. They know they aren't very quick, so they mostly stay off to the side. The big probelm we have is rabbits and squirrels. In the evenings, deer can be a major hazard. I don't think I could bunny (hog?) hop a ground hog on my road bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.