Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fully submersed in the pond of eternal frustration of bike tinkering, I have encountered yet another but hopefully the last problem. :idea:

I'll start with thanking you guys with the past Qs i've had. :D

So I've only dealt with threadless... and when a threaded comes up with no "threaded race" (as per park tool) I have no idea what to do.

Its a single speed built up by previous owner. When I bought it everything was working properly, yesterday I found the fork wiggling a bit while i was working on it.

The general idea for tightening headsets I got from tutorials online was to tighten the threaded race and locknut (correct me if I'm wrong) together with two spanners. But as you can see in the pic the headset only has the locknut and in the middle theres a trimmed cable hanger (my best guess).

ANYWAY, so the big question is ---- How do i tighten this thing?

This has been a slow and painful but somewhat enjoyable build. Hope you guys can help me out!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks FB & silverstar... I don't see any movement in the upper cup as I tighten the locknut, the washer and bracket are both keyed. but I still find that after tightening the locknut there is still a little play after a while. There is still a bit of wiggle when I rock the bike back and forth with brakes on. I've hand tightened the upper cup as tight as I can, would I have to tighten it more?
Cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can i just buy new bearings? Not skint... but just don't wanna throw out and go into the trouble of replacing a headset when i can just replace the bearings/
thx!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ohhhhhhkay.... i think it's snug enough now.
Gotta take it out for a spin to see if the 44x20 is good for a 35km hilly commuting round trip, some time next sunday.
Gotta go practise now :sad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.