Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to organize a repeatable training schedule with my current work schedule. I'm away for eight days and then I'm home solid for seven days. Every time I return from work, it feels like I'm starting over with my training. While I'm away it is really too difficult for me to get any type of meaningful training in.

Any suggestions for some general outlines that I should focus on?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
When you get to the overnight, no matter how bad the "bike" in the gym is, spin for an hour a day before you have a few beers with the rest of the crew. If you're with a fractional and don't frequent the same places it may be tougher, but a bike shop rental may be worth it. The Boise overnight is a great example...Good luck. It's tough, but worth it!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah.....Fractional. The crew meals don't help along with the unpredictable schedule. It's too bad the luggage space doesn't allow for me to bring a folding bike (Ritchey Ti)

I'll do my best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel your pain!

Every year I re-read Friel, recommit myself, and attempt to lay out a logical and not too ambitious training schedule, thinking that this'll be the year I make it to the majority of the local MTB race series. Then life inevitably happens and I end up doing pretty much rudderless "training" and miss all the races anyway due to scheduling conflicts.

Not this year. Right now I just ride every chance I get when I'm home, and try to make it as productive as possible without worrying about being too scientific;longer rides and tempo on the road bike and threshold and intervals on the MTB, but basically just enjoy the ride. With a single income family of four and two kids (7 and 9 yo) my home time pretty much revolves around family type stuff, and I want to enjoy that and keep my riding in it's proper perspective. My boys love to ride though, and we have some great rides together. (They both introduce me to their buds as "That's my dad, he's a bike nerd.")

As far as meaningful training on trips goes, with my new "bankruptcy enhanced 40% streamlined pay structure and work rules" I have to fly a max schedule to try to mitigate the damage. That's about two or three more days/month on the road. Lot's of four and five leg days and minimal layovers make it difficult to run or stationary bike even with the best of intentions. Forget an hour spin AND a few beers w/the crew. So I try to just do what I can when I can. But I agree, it's always one or two steps forward at home, and then one step back at work.

This fall, however, I have a new and improved plan to race myself into shape. Early this year I bought a cross bike. The local cross series uses a park about 10 minutes from my house, has a kids race (which usually means my kids racing each other), and doesn't require a huge time commitment w/respect to race day. There are races almost every other weekend . And it's REALLY FUN !!! Nice, friendly, kinda bohemian crowd and vibe too. The downside is that since cross doesn't yield the turnout of more mainstream events there are only a few classes, so I'll be competing against much younger, faster people, but that's OK. It'll be fun anyway!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
FlynRide said:
I've been trying to organize a repeatable training schedule with my current work schedule. I'm away for eight days and then I'm home solid for seven days. Every time I return from work, it feels like I'm starting over with my training. While I'm away it is really too difficult for me to get any type of meaningful training in.

Any suggestions for some general outlines that I should focus on?

Thanks.
Try trainingpeaks.com for some help. I don't recall your schedule being directly addressed though. I am going to get an AT test soon and will also pay for some guidlines from a coach (read very general). Since my schedule does mimic yours from time to time some information may be germane to you. I'll let you know...I ride 12-15 hours per week with minimal structure. Might as well start training smart. Never know when they will call and I'm getting old!

·
Registered
9 Posts
12-15 hours a week?

woodys737 said:
Try trainingpeaks.com for some help. I don't recall your schedule being directly addressed though. I am going to get an AT test soon and will also pay for some guidlines from a coach (read very general). Since my schedule does mimic yours from time to time some information may be germane to you. I'll let you know...I ride 12-15 hours per week with minimal structure. Might as well start training smart. Never know when they will call and I'm getting old!
If you guys have 15 hours a week to train on an airline schedule you obviously aren't married w/young kids.

Please disregard my entire previous post.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Windchill said:
If you guys have 15 hours a week to train on an airline schedule you obviously aren't married w/young kids.

Please disregard my entire previous post.:rolleyes:
No please, disregard my post! I have two young kids and married 13 years. I didn't know our airline schedules were the same?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your posts. I think that we all wish that we could return home each night after a day of flying to spend time with the family and ride.

I'll be looking into a coach to help maximize the time that I am home. I'm sure that a plan with measured results I'll be able to progress much better than what I'm doing right now.

Blue skies,
R-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.