Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with a rest day and not much to talk about except Floyd's hip, I was thinking about some of the strange/funny/odd sonsors there have been in cycling (strange in the sense of trying to figure out what the relation is between the sponsor and the sport, or promotional aims).

ONCE, the Spanish association for the blind, seems kind of a strange one. LIQUIGAS may win for best not intending to be funny or a pun award (especially when Paul Sherwin pronounces it). Then there are some strange sponsor partnerships. Amore & Vita (love and life, an anti-abortion group if I'm right) shows a picture of the team with the pope in one website picture with lots of talk about the road to peace and the next shows their new sponsor, McDonalds with all the riders chowing down on big macs. That seems kind of weird. http://www.amoreevita.com/indexeng.htm

any other strange sponsors come to mind?

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
I'll play.

Coming from the land of Pete Rose, Unibet has to be the oddest sponsor for a pro sport team.

Call me a cynic, but I'm saying long odds on Unibet never needs to be covered. Then again, who'd know?

· Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
stevesbike said:
with a rest day and not much to talk about except Floyd's hip, I was thinking about some of the strange/funny/odd sonsors there have been in cycling (strange in the sense of trying to figure out what the relation is between the sponsor and the sport, or promotional aims).

ONCE, the Spanish association for the blind, seems kind of a strange one. LIQUIGAS may win for best not intending to be funny or a pun award (especially when Paul Sherwin pronounces it). Then there are some strange sponsor partnerships. Amore & Vita (love and life, an anti-abortion group if I'm right) shows a picture of the team with the pope in one website picture with lots of talk about the road to peace and the next shows their new sponsor, McDonalds with all the riders chowing down on big macs. That seems kind of weird. http://www.amoreevita.com/indexeng.htm

any other strange sponsors come to mind?
Alessio was an Italian sponsor a few years back. They make car rims, some really nice aftermarket ones too. I always thought it odd, wouldn't they be better served sponsoring CAR racing?

G

·
Not sure why Liquigas is a funny team sponsor.

Italian company and cycling is huge in Italy. Liquigas are an industrial welding gas producer.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
I think Liquigas is pretty average, as far as team sponsor-ship weirdness is concerned. However, the way Sherwin pronounces it (LEAKY-GAS) is a topic of conversation....

I always loved the irony involved with USPS sponsoring a racing team. If there is anything NOT characterized with speed, it's the USPS. No offense to any mail workers here....

· Registered
166 Posts
Well, if they were still in existence, Astana. It's unique to say the least when your main team sponsor is Kazahkstan, the country, when you're not actually their national team. I understand the reason for their sponsorship, it's just unique.

Jelly Belly at first blush, might seem odd, being that they make jelly beans. Now they make those sport Jelly Beans (and probably other products that I'm not aware of), so now it's kind relevant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.