Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While disassembling a Shimano Ultegra HB-6500 front hub, I took out 20 balls. Out of curiosity, I checked the Shimano tech document site and this indicated this hub took 22, 3/16 balls. I've been riding this hub with 20 balls since 2000. The races and cones are in great condition. The hub feels a bit less smooth after assembling it with 22 balls.
So, do I go with "if it ain't broke don't fix it", and stick with 10 on each side, or do I go by the Tech doc?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I can honestly say that since I started overhauling hubs I've never looked at a tech document. I know, I should be ashamed. :blush2:

I disassemble, thoroughly clean/ regrease, then drop as many bearings as will fit on the races leaving a space less than the width of one bearing. I'm thinking if you use this method you might end up using 11 on each side, but that's a guess.

If it's bothering you, disassemble the hubs and make sure you've got that shade of clearance I mentioned. But as a FYI, IMO it's best to have as many as will comfortably fit than too few.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Random thoughts:

- A bit less smooth in the hand, or under load? Those can be very different answers.

- You really do want them full. They might feel roughish now because they've been damaged otherwise.

- Are we sure it's not simply that the 22 ball version isn't 1/8th turn tight?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PJ352 said:
I can honestly say that since I started overhauling hubs I've never looked at a tech document. I know, I should be ashamed. :blush2:

I disassemble, thoroughly clean/ regrease, then drop as many bearings as will fit on the races leaving a space less than the width of one bearing. I'm thinking if you use this method you might end up using 11 on each side, but that's a guess.

If it's bothering you, disassemble the hubs and make sure you've got that shade of clearance I mentioned. But as a FYI, IMO it's best to have as many as will comfortably fit than too few.
With 11 balls, there very little space, probably 0.75 mm. I have the same model hub on another wheel. When I get a chance, I'll check that one out.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
danl1 said:
Random thoughts:

- A bit less smooth in the hand, or under load? Those can be very different answers.

- You really do want them full. They might feel roughish now because they've been damaged otherwise.

- Are we sure it's not simply that the 22 ball version isn't 1/8th turn tight?
The hub is not laced to a wheel. It doesn't feel tight as in "grinding" tight, just stiff as in "brand new sealed cartridge bearing" tight. But now that I think about it, I adjusted it that way because I'm going to lace it to a wheel shortly, and I wanted to make sure there was no play in the hub while it's on the truing stand.
Once it's laced, I adjust it so there's just the barest hint of a click, really just a "tick" when I wiggle the axle with fingers. The play is then taken out automatically by the tension of the quick release when it's mounted on the bike.
I guess I'll go with 22 and forget about it. I'm just interested in how it held up perfectly despite being two balls short.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
coasterbrake said:
20 is the correct amount. I have rarely seen a hub from most makers that has more than 20.
22 according to this-
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...B/EV-HB-6500-A-2320_v1_m56577569830611840.pdf

I have three Ultegra front hubs. All three have SHIMANO ULTEGRA printed on the hubshell in black, but don't have "HB-6500" on the hubshell like the tech doc's picture shows. All three have "HB-6500" stamped onto the outside of the cone.
Interestingly, one has a very small "XF" stamped onto the outside of the right hub flange, one has "YL" stamped onto the outside of the left flange, and the third hub has a small "WF" stamped onto the outside of the left hub flange.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
New grease

Jesse D Smith said:
The hub is not laced to a wheel. It doesn't feel tight as in "grinding" tight, just stiff as in "brand new sealed cartridge bearing" tight. But now that I think about it, I adjusted it that way because I'm going to lace it to a wheel shortly, and I wanted to make sure there was no play in the hub while it's on the truing stand.
Putting new grease in a hub can significantly increase the "friction feel" but when the wheel is rolling down the road, it means nothing. Once the grease breaks down a little, things will feel like they always did.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Sounds like you got the process nailed. I usually go by the doc, but the only "harm" I've ever noticed from running one bearing short per side is once the grease get broken down, you can hear them clicking around. I've never notice excessive or premature cone wear.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I recently overhauled my Ultegra hubs - front & rear. Aside from figuring out what size the front one takes (I knew the rear was 1/4") - I simply didn't bother to count. I just put in as many as it took. Minus one. But I seem to remember it was 11/side. But that was subconscious-counting. Giving my mind something to do whilst I went into a Zen-state.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Tech docs help, but...

Without your information about "smoothness" I would have answered 22 3/16" balls as was found by others on the tech sites. But both experience and training have always guided me to go with the one ball less answer. You won't create any problems with one less ball in each side, since there is plenty of bearing surface to distribute the loads. Use 10 on each side.

Bob

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Indyfan said:
Without your information about "smoothness" I would have answered 22 3/16" balls as was found by others on the tech sites.
The tech sites posted by wim show 20 balls for the older hub. On the German doc, Stück = each.

Edit: why leave one ball out? Asking, not arguing—just never heard of this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts