Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a lot of flats this winter - around 20. My Blackburn Airstick and glueless patches were my best friends. Unlike the IRC Redstorm Wet tires that didn't seem to stop lint from penetrating. Conti Gatorskins gave me a new outlook on life, going feb - may w/out 1 flat. I run the Gskins on Ksyrium SLs on a TCR carbon and an S-Works Tarmac and found the sweet spot on both to be around 95 psi. Both cf bikes ride more like aluminum than the 853 Zurich I had before. NEWHO, I had a pincher on Monday, something I attribute in part to the lowish 95 psi. The Blackburn, after a 3 month vacay, failed to deliver any air. Zero. A short walk to a minitmart for some 3n1 oil and 15 minutes with a multi tool and I at least had air on the outstroke - yay, made it home. I hate having to be rescued, and getting gipped out of part of a ride. I just realized that this flat was w/in 1/4 mile of another I had in December.

That night I checked y'alls opinion on pumps, and found mention of someone getting a free rebuild kit from Blackburn. Blackburndesign.com had info on how to get one, so I used their "email us" button. Monday. Today is Friday. Waiting....
Wednesday, went back to Blackburndesign.com (fast server, I'll give them that) and dialed the listed phone #. Of course they are back east and have gone home, but the greeting message explains how important my needs are so I leave a message. Wednesday. (Friday) Waiting.....
Friday. I call early enough, and after 17 minutes on hold (I'll show you my call timer, dammit!) The young woman tells me: 1. "Those pumps are only, like, 15 bucks, why don't ya just buy another one?" Me - Mines cf, I think they're like, 30 bucks. 2a. "You voided the warranty when you took it apart" Me - Srsly... But if you send me a rebuild kit, won't I have to take it apart to install the kit? 2b. "Well, you already did that before getting the kit." 3. "Well let me look that pump up"....(sound of flipping pages to find the ubiquitous Airstik, over 300 billion made. I hope she can find it....) "yeh, we're out of those." Me - K...."Well, do you want to send it in and have a technician look at it?" Me - uh.... "Or I can take your address and send you one when we get them." Me - Good deal.

So I ride this week, unworried, cause my Gskins (@ 105 psi) are bulletproof and make me smile just a little. Even though my pump mow takes 6,000 strokes to hit 80 pai, I'm sure I'll be okay.

Today I picked up a nail in the rear. No worries, spare tube and all that, cheerio! 20 minutes later, the front goes flat. No prob, got my trusty sticker kit. But wait - where's the hole in flat #2? Pump the bare tube up some more and find nothing but a suspicious looking old glueless. Hmmm....touch - PFFFFFFT. Gotta be the old patch failed. A'ight, so I patch the nail hole tube, reload the front wheel (2 flats X 6,000 strokes = tired) and hit the road. For about a mile. Flat front again. I haven't taken the tube out yet, I called for the dreaded rescue. I figure the patches are failing because it was 100ish ambient, higher on baked asphalt, I would guess. 15 miles to the stable and I only had 7 more patches. Y X 6,000 = "come get me, please."

So my question, and I do have one, is: WTF with glueless? Am I right about the heat? I consider myself an expert patcher and am prepared to get a gluey patch kit. Is that what it takes for hot weather? I've never had a patch fail before.

If you're still with me, I could use current pump reccomendations too.

I left out a whole section about refilling my water bottle at a park along the Columbia river where a 100 or so nearly nekkid 18 year olds were engaging in sr. skip day. Why? - useless w/out pics.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Serves you right for using glueless patches....

No, actually I can't say that, because I didn't read your whole post, But my experience with gluess patches (admittedly, it was several years ago when they were new) has been that at least 50 percent fail. I've given up on those and on any pumps except Zefals

·
Registered
27,619 Posts
Humorous account!

Only once, about 21 yeas ago, did I get two flats on one ride. This was before cell phones. Had to walk two miles (fortunately) home on cleated shoes. Well for the past four years and counting, I (Praise be to the Flat gods!) haven't had a flat. Don't even know if my spares are still ok. Took one out several years ago and the tire levers had worn a hole in it. That would have been a bummer out in the middle of nowhere. I never carry a patch kit or glueless patches. Never needed them. Been riding Gatorskins on my commuter all winter, and they still aren't showing any cuts. I too have also found about 105 psi is just right for pinch flat avoidance, but I run 28C's on my commuter and they can get away with 95 psi better than 25's.

Why don't you just take that pump apart, clean it up inside, grease up the plunger, screw it back together, and see if it works? That's what I've done to my little plastic Silca over the years and it still delivers. Some of them need new grommets in the chuck. Bike shops have these grommets.

I never used those glueless patches. I've got tubes with four and five glue patches on them that are still serviceable. Probably have them on my bikes, although its hard to remember since I haven't had a flat for so long. I guess if I were getting alot of flats, I'd carry those patches, though. They're easier to use than messy glue, but I've heard not that reliable, as you found out. Years ago they were viewed as temporary. After you got home, you were supposed to replace them with glued patches. That still might be true!

·
Registered
876 Posts
brujenn said:
I did a field rebuild of the pump. Might have worked better with grease, but the mini mart only had 3 in 1 oil.
Take it apart again. This time head down to your local hardware store or plumbing outfitter and get new o-rings for the plunger. Make sure you get some o-ring specific grease (Phil Wood's grease is okay) and smear some on the barrel and around the o-ring. Pump a few times to make sure you get that o-ring good and covered. Put it all back together again and you should be good to go. If there is any o-ring residue left on the barrel take bottle brush or something and try to get it off. Nothing to harsh for the scrubber.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
A glueless patch should never be left on. It's designed to get you home, where you either fix the tube or replace it.
they work well for lower pressure (read MTB) tires.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"A glueless patch should never be left on. It's designed to get you home, where you either fix the tube or replace it."

News to me. I seriously have used 20+ of them as permanent patches, and not had a problem till it hit "HOT" on the thremometer.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Blackburn

I've emailed Blackburn a few times and asked about a rebuild kit for my full length frame pump. Never received a response, but they sent me two kits, free. I inquired where to purchase a twist lock pump head for my old Blackburn floor pump and never received one. I bought a new pump and it was not a Blackburn. Blackburn used to be located on the west coast, so maybe the move has changed things.

I pack an A-1 one bike. I do not rely on the mini alone to get enough air into my tires. Unless you want enough air to just make it back home. At the most I can get about 80 pounds. I can get around 100 with my full length Blackburn that I carry on my second bike. If your bike can accommodate a full length frame pump that is the way to go. I pack a couple of cartridges of 12g co2 with me anyway, as I have so much of them laying around.

Park has a new PMP-5 frame pump. It dials in to adjust to the tt of your bike. Park makes good stuff, no feedback on this pump. Performance has a Lezyne Pressure Drive mini pump where the hose is concealed inside of the pump handle. No feedback on this pump either. I guess it works like a mini floor pump.

I rarely get flats anymore. When I do, I use a mini or full length (depending on what bike I am riding). I use the pump to seat the tire, inflate about 40 pounds and finish off with co2. Easy as pie.

I've found that the glueless patches are just a temporary fix. Just something to get you home. Sooner or later they will come off. I've read that they work better if you do not sand the tube before applying them.

I think the thing with flats is overkill, pack more stuff than you need and that will stop flats. I also spend a lot of time looking at the road ahead of me. If I see something large, I will stop and remove it, so I don't run over it on an another day.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Zefal frame pump

Cory said:
No, actually I can't say that, because I didn't read your whole post, But my experience with gluess patches (admittedly, it was several years ago when they were new) has been that at least 50 percent fail. I've given up on those and on any pumps except Zefals
Mine came with the old Schwinn I have told about here @RBR, I figured I'd try to use it since I restored the old Schwinn. Tried pumping up a tube w/o a tire on it. It disintegrated. Shaft out of the tube, springs flying everywhere, no parts shaking around inside, I have no idea what happened to it other than it went to the scrape alu pile in my garage.

I saw someone offering chrome Silca frame pumps NOS, any good? Does Zefal still make full sized frame pumps? Blackburn?

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Getting the news

brujenn said:
News to me. I seriously have used 20+ of them as permanent patches, and not had a problem till it hit "HOT" on the thremometer.
You have seriously been so lucky. On a road bike, self-stick patches are for going home, to be replaced by the real thing. Hot weather is their enemy, and most of us experience hot weather for 3 months every summer.

·
Use my Apps :)
1,010 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
You have seriously been so lucky. On a road bike, self-stick patches are for going home, to be replaced by the real thing. Hot weather is their enemy, and most of us experience hot weather for 3 months every summer.
I guess I've been lucky too.

You say "to be replaced by the real thing." So is there a best way to use a regular patch over where the self-stick one is? The self stick ones practically bond right to the tube making it seem like it would be impossible to get it clean enough for a new glued patch. It's not like I can peel off the self-stick ones.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Patch over

MisterMike said:
So is there a best way to use a regular patch over where the self-stick one is? The self stick ones practically bond right to the tube making it seem like it would be impossible to get it clean enough for a new glued patch. It's not like I can peel off the self-stick ones.
A little bit of solvent will probably take the self-adhesive glue off with a little work. GooGone or GoofOff would be reasonable choices. IME, you can peel off a Park patch by just picking up a corner with your finger nail. The edge of a razor blade or Stanley knife would do the job, though you risk cutting the tube.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.