Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else struggle with getting back on after being off for a while?
I love to ride once I am out and going but the idea of getting on the bike just doesn't sound all that appealing to me right now.
Spin class starts this week. I am just not that excited about doing that ether.
I know once I get on and start I will be ok but just throwing my leg over the top tube doesn't sound all the appealing right now.
Just food for thought.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
don't ride if you don't want to.

you can always just sit on your butt until you're bored with that...

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
I love to ride once I am out and going but the idea of getting on the bike just doesn't sound all that appealing to me right now.
I know once I get on and start I will be ok but just throwing my leg over the top tube doesn't sound all the appealing right now.
Just food for thought.
Me too. It's getting cold outside and the sun goes down early. So get out the toasty warm undershirt, leggings, windproof vest, gloves, skull cap; pump up those tires, and find out how bracing it is to work your ass off without sweating!. You're right, the prep is a real PITA, but once out the door, it will equal the best rides over the summer!

Want more motivation? Team up. The local Sat. morning club/shop ride might be the ticket. Or hook up with like minded road warriors on the MUTs.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Burned out some... take time off. Diversify. The mtb helps a lot this time of year. I ride the beach, do some trail riding. You can beach ride at night and see well with some lights. Trainer just got set up. Did a road ride today because we had nice weather. Oxtox shares wisdom.... don't ride if you dont want to. It'll come back, it's seasonal.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
ride a new route and take a camera. stop frequently take pictures and enjoy the bike as a form of transport, not just a bike. You can really enjoy your cycling when you are going slow looking for things to photograph.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
In general I enjoy cycling quite a lot and never feel like I want to quit. What else would I do anyway. Golf is available and I tried that but it makes you feel like smashing stuff so I figured it was not for me.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Burn out is a real thing. If ya need a break take a break. After almost thirty years of riding I took some serious time off the bike and havnt regretted it a bit. I've spent the last three years doing a lot of trail running. It's something I can't wait to go do every day. Bikes are still waiting for me all tuned and ready.
It's life, sometimes it's easier to go with the flow and not fight it. Ther are many amazing sports to keep you entertained for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Oh for Pete's sake, either get out there on your bike or go find a non cycling forum to play on.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
skiing season starts in a couple of weeks. Mix it up a bit this time of the year.
Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Diversify. The mtb helps a lot this time of year. .
yep. MTB works for me too. winter is the cycling 'high season' for me .. cause I dont ride MTB in summer. road bike ties me over through the summer

though I am also now dusting off the golf clubs for some winter golf calorie burn shanks pony (no friggin carts of course). oh and off for our 6th trip this year to 'cycling training camp' in AZ next month (just back from our last trip a week ago)

·
wut?
504 Posts
I rode with a friend of mine on Saturday while he was leading a group ride. I haven't been able to ride with any consistancy the past few months, and to me the pace seemed quite pedestrian. He has logged ~10k miles this year, won several 75+ masters races including two national masters championships. He leads an early morning spin class 3-4 times per week, and he said he can't wait for some snow so he can get off the bike and get snowshoeing for a few months.

Burnout is real and it can be good to take a break. No apologies necessary...

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Guess I'd ask why were you off the bike to start with...Illness, job, burnout. If it was burnout then I think you haven't been off the bike long enough.
About 3 years ago I had that burnout feeling in October, and when I got off the bike one morning I didn't get back on until almost April, with the exception of 2 slow mt bike rides with the kids.
I just didn't want to look at the bike at all.
When I did get back on I had a renewed motivation, and by late Summer was riding better than I had before.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Pick another activity.

Pick an activity that interests you that perhaps targets muscles cycling neglects. I prefer outdoor activities to the gym scene, but any activity is better than none-especially if it's sustainable and regular.

For me, there is no off-season. There's just the seasons I do this thing or that thing. To be fair, even when I'm doing something else (in my case alpine ski racing), I still ride the trainer 6 days a week. It's just not my main focus at the time. Mentally, that switch helps a lot with burnout and preps me for the next season.

Clean your bike, make sure it's tuned, and put it away for the time when you'll get the itch and opportunity again. It's a nice way to thank it for all of the good times it's provided.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
get drunk, real drunk. take your bike completely apart and you won't remember how it goes back together.

stay drunk for a few months.

when you sober up put bike back together.

you'll enjoy riding again, guaranteed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts