Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been at my job for a little over a year. I work in a house that has been converted to office space in a half-ass fashion. Before I accepted the position, my boss showed me my office. It's a great spot with a view and windows that open: both big pluses in my view. It's also fair sized. Now they're talking about reorganizing our office and moving the people who hold my position. Well, they're talking about moving the other two and leaving me in my office. One of the other guys has been here close to 20 years. The powers that be plan to move him from his current office, which is the largest in the house, to a tiny office that has a tiny window that doesn't open and which you can't see out unless you stand. This other guy clearly is not in favor, which is part of the reason they're thinking about sending him to this broom closet.

Anyhow, the guy clearly has seniority and a little (very little) voice in the back of my head tells me I should offer him my office. OTOH, I'm not particularly friendly with him and don't think he does his fair share of the work around here, which causes the other two of us to do more work. Also, I'd go nuts working in this crappy little office and have made that known, which is part of the reason they haven't asked me to move. I'm inclined to let things be and stay where I am. I anticipate some hostility from my co-worker, but I'm not all that concerned about it. So, what do the Loungers say: offer the office or keep your mouth shut?

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
If he was a friend, a good coworker, did his part, etc. etc. I'd offer. But, senority doesn't mean crap to me if the individual isn't doing their fair share of work or whatever. Guy failed to get your respect or friendship so why give him the office?

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Never voluntarily give up any perks at work. Never. You will always regret it, and you will usually get screwed.

If you don't think this guy does his fair share of the work, you probably aren't alone. This may be a move designed to get the guy to quit, so they don't have to fire him. Assume that management has a plan and knows what they are doing, and if you receive any hostility, you can rightly claim you had nothing to do with it.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
mickey-mac said:
I've been at my job for a little over a year. I work in a house that has been converted to office space in a half-ass fashion. Before I accepted the position, my boss showed me my office. It's a great spot with a view and windows that open: both big pluses in my view. It's also fair sized. Now they're talking about reorganizing our office and moving the people who hold my position. Well, they're talking about moving the other two and leaving me in my office. One of the other guys has been here close to 20 years. The powers that be plan to move him from his current office, which is the largest in the house, to a tiny office that has a tiny window that doesn't open and which you can't see out unless you stand. This other guy clearly is not in favor, which is part of the reason they're thinking about sending him to this broom closet.

Anyhow, the guy clearly has seniority and a little (very little) voice in the back of my head tells me I should offer him my office. OTOH, I'm not particularly friendly with him and don't think he does his fair share of the work around here, which causes the other two of us to do more work. Also, I'd go nuts working in this crappy little office and have made that known, which is part of the reason they haven't asked me to move. I'm inclined to let things be and stay where I am. I anticipate some hostility from my co-worker, but I'm not all that concerned about it. So, what do the Loungers say: offer the office or keep your mouth shut?
You moreon imbasil. Let things be for gods sake.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Chances are if you offer him the trade he'll accept, then quit two months later and some new guy will move into the good office and you'll be stuck in the crap one. And if he is causing more work for you I wouldn't even consider it. I hate people like that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ya, he'll use your ex- massively sized - with a great view - office to impress the Hot College Intern; whom will then love to spend 'time' in there. Need I continue ?

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
gonna need those TPS reports by five, mmm'kay?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts