Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some day's I can't commute by bike because I have an evening obligation but I can do an a.m. ride. I have a nice 12.6 mile loop with 600 feet of climbing and it's a great route for the fixie. The loop itself is 2 flat miles from the office, so it's out of town to the traffic circle and up over the hill, down to and then up the valley, back over the hill and down to the traffic circle and return on the 2 flat miles.

These pictures are about a month old and the first shows the sunrise on the church accross from the office. The route goes by City Hall and the YMCA and passes under the commuter train.

Accross from City Hall are friendly bailbondsmen.... A little further up the road is the Doobie Palace (lots of salons in town specialize in Doobies) and some trusty transportation

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Continued...

The streets are pretty bad so I choose my path carefully and go slowly to avoid disaster and generally heavy traffic. After a mile, my destination appears in the distance. Almost another mile and the hills are getting closer. Just past the traffic circle is a dam with a pretty lake. A good spot for a photo op. Now the climb begins. Up and over the hill and down the other side. Eventually I cross the Passaic River, turn east to follow it and turn south to cross it again and climb back over the Watchung Hills and back to the traffic circle. The route I took 30 minutes ago has become a little more crowded as I pass the police station on my return to beautiful downtown Plainfield.

For a little variety, I take a parallel road on the return trip. There's no shortage of Latin food opportunities here and there's a nice place for the ladies to buy party dresses. I don't think I'll be eating in either of these places anytime soon.

Finally, ride over, I enter the office, park the office bike, take a shower and begin my day.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
replies...

Thanks for the kind words about the route and bike. The route definitely has variety. I haven't found a Red Tower # 2, but then, I'm not looking for it...

Gloomy - Plainfield is more than a little past its prime, but the early hour didn't help with the shadows.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Not bad at all.

What's in the Thomson bag?

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
The Doobie Palace intrigues me...

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spare Tube ...

Pablo said:
Not bad at all.

What's in the Thomson bag?
wet wipes to clean the hands after changing a flat, and the all important peanut butter wrench (imitation version!)

I used to carry it in an underseat bag, but I moved the bag to a new bike. The new bike and a new job changed the way I use the Street Dog, so I no longer need 2 waterbottle holders. The Thomson bag (with several rubber bands to close it and attach it to the bottle holder) was an improvisation, but it's served me well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.