Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Not F Schleck. The last 24k is downhill, and he descends like a drunken cat.

If Salvodelli were here, I'd pick him. Failing that, I think Cadel might actually get his jersey back. He's the best descender of the top 6, IMO. Question is, does he want it back before stage 20?

G

·
I don't have a clue on this one. If the weather is good, I'd go for a daemon descender. Are there any real mountain goats lefts who are free to take a flyer?

Man, am I glad I'm not a pro - Bonette/Resterfond looks like a bloody aweful climb, especially with no valley before it for the contenders to sit in wheels an recover.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
What I'd like to see is Menchov winning solo, but I doubt it. The contenders might not want to risk going solo over the top of the final HC due to the effort required to stay away. Stage 17 will be in their heads for sure.

Therefore I think Valverde wins a sprint out of the group of GC favorites.

G

·
Einstruzende said:
The contenders might not want to risk going solo over the top of the final HC due to the effort required to stay away. Stage 17 will be in their heads for sure.
That's for sure - stage 17 is just plain sick: the Galibier, the Croix de Fer and then ALPE D'Huez! Nutz!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Valverde

I am thinking he attacks on the last HC climb, no one really follows him too closely because he is rather off the pace, then launches himself downhill and hopes for the best. Maybe he claws back a minute or so on the GC contenders. Now... if he were to claw back 3 mins or so, that would be exciting. Can you imagine the fireworks on Wednesday? That really would be fun (well, for those of us watching - not so much for those racing).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wanted to pick Valverde as well. But with Pereiro crashing out of the race, I don't think Valverde can win the stage. CSC has shown they have three very strong climbers but with the next stage being L'Alpe d'Huez, it makes me wonder who's saving there legs? Menchov looked good but cracked near the end.

I'm going to say Sastre. He'll attack on the final climb, and there won't be enough riders willing to chase him down.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.