Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,301 Posts
from how far back to the yellow jersey on 1 mountain?

Time-wise, from how far down (in overall standings) do you think a rider could move to get into yellow tomorrow? from 5 minutes down? 10 minutes? 15 minutes?

tomorrow is gonna be the day.
a mountain is where you really see the big time differences.

many guys are in position to be in a breakaway and possibly jump into yellow, if that breakaway succeeds with a few minutes or more over the peleton, and the few riders at the very top of the overall standings get held down.

anyone near the top of the overall standings as of now / tuesday, will not be allowed to break away easily. but for anyone who has the legs, guts, and skill for one great day in the mountains, they could jump from the pack right into yellow tomorrow. with a big enough move, they would be well-placed for podium. i guess you also have to factor in the likely time loss on the final time trial.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Hopefully another breakaway doesn't make it to the end. It's more exciting with the stage win is also on the line.

That said, I would go with Cunego. He has to have a good day at some point, and he has said that he wanted to win Alp d' Huez before.

Stupid pick the more I think about it though.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Sastre

CSC will attack Evans over and over, and Sastre will prevail - revealing CSC's master plan, that Schleck all along was the rabbit and never the team's pick for the Yellow.... or not.

But I will probably be wrong. It will be someone who gets in a five man break on the Galibier that the favourites never quite catch.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Agreed

pretender said:
The Tour will be won tomorrow.
or lost... depending on how you look at it. Five riders in with a decent shot, three who are not great on the ITT, two who might not have the same explosiveness on the climbs: great stuff.

G

·
Sastre looked like he was about to get shelled the last 1km up the Bonnette, so unless he was faking it - I don't think he'll be able to stay with Frank and Andy up Alpe-d'Huez. The only guy who looked strong enough to stay with these two till the end is Evans (an Sastre if he was acting). Evans can afford a two minute loss if he has too.

I don't think any break will have the strength to stay away all the way to the top of L'Alpe.

Einstruzende - there still time to change your pick!!

My pick is Frank Schleck.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.