Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My thoughts:

Cancellara would be the favorite to win if this was held in the first half of the race. He won't win it with the TdF on the line, plus he goes far too early in the race, so his times will be a carrot for the GC guys.

I think Menchov will win the TT, but not by enough over the top 5 to win the overall, but he will get enough to podium.

Sastre will surprise people. It will be very close ultimately with Evans. Maybe coin flip close as to who will finish with yellow at the end of the day.

· More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Kirchen.

Evans and Menchov are also good picks since they will likely be top 5 at least.

I'm changing. Kirchen didn't do so well in the final TT last year and finished higher on the GC than he is likely to do this year. Now it's ...

Millar

· your text here
13,203 Posts
i think CSC lets fabian go and run the stage the way he wants. they have enough guys to clock for sastre, who may or may not be in yellow on sunday. why not get one last stage?

if fabian doesnt get it, its will be evans. rggggg.

G

·
Gripped said:
Kirchen.

Evans and Menchov are also good picks since they will likely be top 5 at least.
Interesting pick. I thought of him (he did very well in the first ITT), but I don't know enough his long ITT ability. I am also concerned that since he blew up in the Alps that his form is declining.

· More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
AJL said:
Interesting pick. I thought of him (he did very well in the first ITT), but I don't know enough his long ITT ability. I am also concerned that since he blew up in the Alps that his form is declining.
He came in 6 minutes behind Sastre on Alpe d'Heuz. And he's currently sitting 11th, eight and a half minutes in arrears. With a good TT, he could potentially climb as high as 8th overall.

As for those talking up Cancellara ... Sure, he's a TT stud. But he's been worked HARD in the mountains. He's tired.

Millar isn't a bad choice either. He's about the same time in arrears as Fabian. But he hasn't been asked to work half as hard, I think. He might be fresher.

G

·
crumjack said:
Millar. He will either win or have another catastrophic mechanical and meltdown. Great entertainment either way.
When he retires he can be an independent bike tester - if there's a failure he'll find it (unfortunately his clients will need to retrieve the broken bike from the bushes).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.