Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's a pretty tough finish. David Millar seems to be targeting it, but I suspect it'll be just a tad bit too hard for him to win. Why? Because Valverde, Cunego, and Ricco will be wanting this stage.

My pick: Valverde. He wants to (and needs to) show that he is still in it for the GC.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Hmmm. Any of the GC favorites is a safe pick since they have to stay within striking distance. Uphill finish on a C2 climb with pitches to 12%. An early escape with Voeckler and some other polkadot wannabe will most likely get swallowed on the final hill.

The winner is going to come out of one of the "going for stages" squads with a good climber. Ricco says he wants stages, not the overall. I'll pick him.

Ricco for the win.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Cunego

is my pick.

But I would not be surprised by any of: Kirchen, Valverde or Ricco. Millar and Evans will be close, but I don't think either will be able to hold on to the top of the last climb.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Oh crap. Hmm.... It might go to a breakaway... I'm still considering between Ricco and Valverde but Ricco is the type of explosive rider who can really do it as he showed in the Giro whereas I haven't seen Valverde hammer on the mountains yet.

No decision made yet on my part. Kirchen? Err, is Cunego or him more explosive?

·
Registered
53 Posts
a lot of teams have worked very hard the first few days. there have been other teams that have not made an impact yet. i would look for somebody from a quiet team this far. i havent seen anything from CSC, they have several people that climb very well. there is my hope, and guess

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
uzziefly said:
Oh crap. Hmm.... It might go to a breakaway... I'm still considering between Ricco and Valverde but Ricco is the type of explosive rider who can really do it as he showed in the Giro whereas I haven't seen Valverde hammer on the mountains yet.

No decision made yet on my part. Kirchen? Err, is Cunego or him more explosive?
Maybe you missed Stage 1 where Valverde blew everyone's doors off on an uphill sprint, including Ricco, Kirchen, and Cuengo. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too think CSC is going to do something soon. They have the strongest team, so they're more than likely to have someone in the breakaway group (providing there is a breakaway group).

My pick will be Andy Schleck (good enough climber to fly over the last two climbs but not enough of a GC threat to chase down).

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Einstruzende said:
It's a pretty tough finish. David Millar seems to be targeting it, but I suspect it'll be just a tad bit too hard for him to win. Why? Because Valverde, Cunego, and Ricco will be wanting this stage.

My pick: Valverde. He wants to (and needs to) show that he is still in it for the GC.
David's banking on a bunch finish and his 3rd overall GC to get him yellow. I don't know if Schumi and Kirchen will get dropped on the final climb, though. Bunch finish seems pretty likely though, the first day of hills doesn't always break things up.

G

·
Ricco or Andy Schleck would be good bets for first, if that's what they want. Some say Carlos Sastre's form is really good this year, in which case the Schleck brothers will be pacing him up through the last climb. At this point, all the REAL GC guys will be trying to stay close to the competition - too many big climbs coming up to risk blowing themselves up over this stage, though they may test each other a bit.

I think Millar, if he is dying for a stage win, could make it with 5 other guys motivated to get a large time gap b/4 the cols - but I don't see this succeding.

No one is going to let Kirchen get way out at this point in time.

Ricco would be the best bet - and a good bet for the Polka Dot Jersey if he wants it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.