Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm doing a sort of "feasibility study" for building a disc brake equipped psuedo-CX / commuter / gravel trail bike. Basically I want something like a Salsa La Cruz, only with a little bit better spec of components. (In fact this build will probably be based on the La Cruz frame.)

One can't buy road 700c disc brake wheel sets that take CX tires (I'm assuming a 29er wheel rims will be too wide) so I'll have to have custom wheels made (or learn how to build them myself).

The LBS guys said I should consider Velocity Rims, which brings up the possibility of using an offset spoke hole rim on the back (thinking Aerohead O/S or Synergy O/S, depending on what rim width I settle on).

Now with rear disc brake hubs (I assume) the non drive side flange is moved inwards to accommodate the disc, so there will be less dish. Does an offset spoke hole rim still make sense in this case?

Similarly, do front disc brake wheels have some dish due to the brake side flange being moved inwards? Would a offset spoke hole rim be a good idea on a front disc brake wheel ?

I'll have to use mtn bike disc brake hubs (the Salsa has 135mm rear spacing). The Stock La Cruz comes with XT hubs, There does not seem to be any hubs available that are better than those before getting into Paul, Phil Wood or Chris King territory, and those are many times more expensive. I just need something a step up from the XT's. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Look on the Bicycle Wheel Warehouse site and follow the Road>Hybrid links. There you can see 3 different 700c rims with a plethora of disc hub options. BWW wheelsets are great and their prices are even better.

Offset rims - are they really a solution in search of a problem? I've never folded a non-offset disc brake wheel due to the lack of the feature.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
to actually answer your question, yes, the left side of the front wheel does have dish to accommodate the front rotor.

I made a set of XT hubs linked to mavic rims recently, and for the ever increasing cost of nice spokes and rims, not worth it for myself IMO... XT is now made in Malaysia...

better than XT? obviously XTR, nice quality, holds its value and in centrelock is quite light.... my hub of choice for shimano tho is HOPE. great hubset. made in britian, with INA swiss bearings - your choice of colour. They really are the UK equiv of CK....but priced much more reasonably - around that of XTR...

edit: with the use u describe XT is probably a good bet, as well as the fact that velocity rims are quite cheap.... putting nice hubs on a commuter is a recipe for stealin' IMO... XT being the equiv of ultegra in road, is still quite high i s'pose...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

One thought I had was that it would be better to put $$ into lighter, stronger rims instead of hubs, as they have a vastly higher effect on the rotational inertia of the wheel.

What do you think of velocity rims vs say Mavic or DT Swiss, or the Salsa Delgado Race?

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
grs1969 said:
Thanks for the info.

One thought I had was that it would be better to put $$ into lighter, stronger rims instead of hubs, as they have a vastly higher effect on the rotational inertia of the wheel.

What do you think of velocity rims vs say Mavic or DT Swiss, or the Salsa Delgado Race?
We don't know anything about your body weight. Are you 135lbs or 235lbs? That would make a big difference for rims. You say these wheels are for a "psuedo-CX / commuter / gravel trail bike". To me that would indicate a do-all set of wheels and not the lightest racing setup.

I too have a bike for your purpose (minus the commute) - my dirt road bike - and I have OpenPro rims and DuraAce hubs on mine (135mm disc equivalent would be XTR). Plus I have a set of OP/Ultegras too.

All the 400-500 gram rims are fine (DT, Mavic - about five rims there). I know nothing about Velocities.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Arg, sorry, I always forget to include that info.

160lbs, 40 yo, don't (currently) do lots and lots of miles.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Offset rims used to be a big deal 5-10 years ago, but for some reason faded away. I have folded a disc brake non-offset wheel (ok it was a cheap rim and I'm 180+), so maybe there is a point. Probably more important than offset it rim strength. An open pro is probably stronger than a Velocity aerohead with or without offset.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike T. said:
We don't know anything about your body weight. Are you 135lbs or 235lbs? That would make a big difference for rims. You say these wheels are for a "psuedo-CX / commuter / gravel trail bike". To me that would indicate a do-all set of wheels and not the lightest racing setup.

I too have a bike for your purpose (minus the commute) - my dirt road bike - and I have OpenPro rims and DuraAce hubs on mine (135mm disc equivalent would be XTR). Plus I have a set of OP/Ultegras too.

All the 400-500 gram rims are fine (DT, Mavic - about five rims there). I know nothing about Velocities.
What's a "dirt road bike"? What tires are you running on it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts