Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Offshore Carbon Wheels - your experience needed here.

Was looking to build my own alloy wheelset when I came across the "Ebay and Chinese Direct Carbon Wheel Thread 2.0" thread. Very interesting and read many of the posts but found it a daunting task to read the whole thing. Hoping some of the experienced guys who have bought wheels can help me and potentially others looking to pull the trigger on these.

I'm 215 and mostly ride group and Gran Fondo's in both flat and hilly terrain with possible racing in the future. I like the benefits of an aero profile but still want them light enough to climb with. I want the wider profile to run 25mm tires and here's what I'm looking at.

Link -> U-Shape 700C 25MM Wide Carbon Wheels Clincher 50MM with Novatec Hubs with Novatec 291/482 Hubs

Had some communication with Leo from Yoeleo but would really appreciate feedback from those that have bought and used carbon wheels from Yoeleo.

Thanx

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
feedback wanted please

Shouldn't
While I appreciate your time to respond, does the possibility exist to expand that with say, some reasoning behind it or maybe even some personal experience you could share with a newbie like myself trying to understand and get a handle on these new carbon wheel opportunities?

I was looking more for "feedback from those that have bought and used carbon wheels from Yoeleo", otherwise I would have started a "poll" thread. I've changed the title to help eliminate any future confusion.

Thanx :thumbsup:

·
Boyd Cycling owner
377 Posts
I'm 215 and mostly ride group and Gran Fondo's in both flat and hilly terrain
The situations you described are the exact type that you should probably not use *any* carbon clinchers. In a group situation you don't have control over how much you have to ride the brakes. Gran Fondos often go out and try to find the craziest steepest hills and this means that you have to go down them as well. We had the Hincapie Gran Fondo here last fall and there were something like 19 sets of carbon clinchers that delaminated across all brands (even brands that say it's impossible to delaminate them).

I'm not going to mention any brands or tell you that you shouldn't buy those just because they are the generic Chinese brands. . .just for the type of riding you are doing I would look to a good higher spoke alloy wheel set. If you were dead set on carbon, the tubulars would stand up much better to the hilly Gran Fondo type of riding.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your reply coachboyd.

During my intial wheelbuild planning I was going with a 24/28 count but this carbon wheelset listed max rider weight at 105kg or 231 lbs, so I figured I was good to go. I also asked several questions to Leo about braking, heat and delam concerns and was advised that they use "basalt on the braking surface and use high tg carbon fiber (Glass Transition Temperature ,that means the temperature of the carbon can be heated) on this rim." What I'm hearing from you is this may or may not be enough and I could suffer delam on long, heavy braking descents.

To be more clear about the type of riding expected in my area, there are some hilly sections with corresponding descents but its mostly flat with slight/moderate rolling hills.

Thanx again.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
While I appreciate your time to respond, does the possibility exist to expand that with say, some reasoning behind it or maybe even some personal experience you could share with a newbie like myself trying to understand and get a handle on these new carbon wheel opportunities?

I was looking more for "feedback from those that have bought and used carbon wheels from Yoeleo", otherwise I would have started a "poll" thread. I've changed the title to help eliminate any future confusion.

Thanx :thumbsup:
Here is my feedback. Like you I was initially curious about these wheels because of the low cost, weight and carbon rims. I sent an email to Farsports and they replied promptly and answered all my questions. However the answers were not to my liking. They basically told me what I wanted to hear and made guarantees that they could not possibly make good on. In the end I decided that my safety was more important than having carbon wheels. If you go through the thread on Chinese wheels you will find many cases of rim failures and the manufacturers in China do not respond to such failures. So besides being a safety risk you are also out of the money you paid for them. I build all of my own wheels and I am happy to continue using aluminum rims.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the kind of insightful feedback I was looking for. Perhaps I need to spend the time and read the entire thread.

Thanx jnbrown

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.