Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for a road bike. My daily commute is about to double, so the mtb with slicks isn't going to cut it for much longer. Oh yeah, and I did my first road race recently and may have liked it ;)
I'm approximately 5'11" with a 34" inseam. I'm looking into a Schwinn Fastback. Stock medium=too small, stock large=too big. I'm beginning to doubt that I could get the medium to fit comfortably because when I'm in the drops i feel like I need about 2" or more saddle behind me. The large feels about right with a 90mm stem on it, maybe just a tad stretched but more likely I'm too used to the feel of a mtb and a much too small for me road bike. In other words I'm leaning towards the large, but I thought I'd get some very general opinions before I pull the trigger. On the very minimal information I've given, what would you suggest?

·
classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
JoelM said:
It's time for a road bike. My daily commute is about to double, so the mtb with slicks isn't going to cut it for much longer. Oh yeah, and I did my first road race recently and may have liked it ;)
I'm approximately 5'11" with a 34" inseam. I'm looking into a Schwinn Fastback. Stock medium=too small, stock large=too big. I'm beginning to doubt that I could get the medium to fit comfortably because when I'm in the drops i feel like I need about 2" or more saddle behind me. The large feels about right with a 90mm stem on it, maybe just a tad stretched but more likely I'm too used to the feel of a mtb and a much too small for me road bike. In other words I'm leaning towards the large, but I thought I'd get some very general opinions before I pull the trigger. On the very minimal information I've given, what would you suggest?
If you're not sure, you should get fitted by a good fitting system / good fitter. The information that you provide is not nearly sufficient to make any accurate recommendation. So you are right that the information that you provide is minimal.

Going by feel is tricky, given that you are new to road riding. Over time, you become more comfortable and then your preferences will change. That's why it's good to get fitted by a good system/fitter, since the good ones know how to ease you into the sport.

Good luck in your quest!

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Shop a different manufacturer. Geometries can vary. Get thee to a good road oriented LBS and spin some bikes on a trainer while someone with some appropriate knowledge evaluates fit, and then do an outside test ride.

I am also a little confused by your description of feeling like you need 2 more inches of saddle behind you... OTOH, I'm not at all surprised that a stock M is too small.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
collectorvelo said:
get a traditional frame in a 58cm from Trek, Motobecane, Fuji, Felt, etc
you will fit that and be happy
58 seems like it would be huge for someone my height and inseam length. I feel like I shouldn't be on anything bigger than a 57cm eff. toptube. However, the Schwinns seem to measure really big in the toptube (58 on the large), yet offer a pretty decent fit. I'm also looking at a comparable Jamis, but I like the componentry on the Schwinn more. If I could just find something smack dab in the middle, geometry wise, I think I would be happy.

collectorvelo said:
I would not buy a bike that is sold in wal-mart [aka schwinn]
Not so fast. Pacific owns Schwinn and unfortunately can slap the name on a turd if they want to. The bikes sold at department stores are not in any way related to the bikes sold at bike shops. Why Pacific chooses to drag a once well respected brand name through the mud is beyond me. The point is that a real Schwinn is still a fine bike; search through the forums and see what comments you find regarding them ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.