Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And all the other Phils fans

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20090413_Kalas_passes_out__taken_to_hospital.html

Harry Kalas dies

Daily News Staff Report

WASHINGTON - Legendary Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas has died. He was 73.

"We lost our voice today," team president David Montgomery said. "He knows the game and made a tremendous contribution to the sport and to our organization . . .

"Anybody who has played for us, it's an immediate point of connection with the club. He is the Phillies."

The Phillies were told the news at 1:20 p.m.

Montgomery described the team as "stunned."

Kalas collapsed in the press box and was was found at about 12:30 p.m. by Rob Brooks, the Phillies' director of broadcasting. Emergency medical personnel were called and took Kalas to George Washington Medical Center.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"The double play went 4-6-3 for those of you who might be home scoring in bed."

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
My daughter...a partial season ticket holder & Phillies Phanatic, texted me at 2:25 letting me know.

He's been broadcasting them since 1971, when I was a Sophmore in HS.........he's the only voice my kids have ever known.

At least he got to see them win a WS & broadcast it.

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
"65,000 plus on their feet here at Veterans Stadium. The Tugger needs one more...Swing and a miss! Yes, he struck him out! Yes, they did it! The Phillies are world champions! World champions of baseball! It's pandemonium at Veterans Stadium! All of the fans are on their feet. This city has come together behind a baseball team!...Phillies are world champions! This city knows it! This city loves it!"

"Swing...and a long drive, watch this baby, outta here! Home run <insert player's name here>"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts