Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so here is the deal.

All opinions welcome and if you have any other bikes you think i should try let me know.

Which of these bikes would you choose?

I am 6 ft 235lbs I have lost 200 lbs in the last 10 months and have been riding my Cannondale F4 mountain bike like crazy. Well I set a goal to ride in the Kansas City MS150 this year.

I have been looking at bikes and test riding them as well. they really all seem to fit well (NOTICE I SAY THESE BIKES FIT ME WELL) So I already know the most important thing is fit.

here are the bikes and prices.
09 Cannondale Synapse 5 compact Alloy $1125
08 Specialized Sequoia COMP $1350
09 Specialized Sequoia ELITE $1125

The main difference between the 08 and 09 Sequoia is the 08 has Carbon seat stays with with the zertz inserts and the 09 is all aluminum frame. The seat post on the 08 is also a better post.

See blow for other differences.

09 Cannondale Synapse 5 compact Alloy $1125
Frame Cannondale Synapse
Fork Cannondale Synapse S.A.V.E. Ultra carbon
Rims/Wheels Shimano WH-RS10
Hubs See Rims/Wheels
Spokes See Rims/Wheels
Tires Maxxis Fuse, 700 x 23c
Crankset FSA Omega Compact
Chainwheel 50/34
Front Derailleur Shimano 105
Rear Derailleur Shimano 105
Rear Cogs Shimano 105, 10-speed: 12-27
Shifters Shimano 105
Handlebars Cannondale C3
Tape/Grips Gel
Stem Cannondale C4
Brake Levers Shimano 105
Brakes Tektro dual-pivot
Saddle Selle San Marco Ponza Power
Seat Post Cannondale C2, carbon-wrapped

08 Specialized Sequoia Comp $1350
Frame Construction TIG-welded
Frame Tubing Material Specialized E5 SLX aluminum, carbon seatstays w/Zertz inserts
Fork Brand & Model Specialized FACT, w/Zertz inserts
Fork Material Carbon/carbon steerer, aero crown
Rear Shock Not applicable

Components
Component Group Shimano 105
Brakeset Ultralight dual pivot brakes, Shimano 105 STI Dual Control levers
Shift Levers Shimano 105 STI Dual Control
Front Derailleur Shimano 105, bottom-pull/clamp-on
Rear Derailleur Shimano 105
Crankset FSA Gossamer MegaExo, 30/39/50 teeth
Pedals Composite body, alloy cage, with toe clips and straps
Bottom Bracket FSA MegaEXO
BB Shell Width Unspecified
Rear Cogs 10-speed, 11 - 28 teeth
Chain Shimano 105, 1/2 x 3/32"
Seatpost Specialized Pavé II, FACT carbon w/ Zertz insert, aluminum head, 27.2mm diameter
Saddle Body Geometry Sonoma
Handlebar Specialized Zertz Comp, 31.8mm
Handlebar Extensions Not included
Handlebar Stem Specialized Comp-Set, 31.8mm clamp
Headset 1 1/8" threadless Specialized Mindset, integrated threadless

Wheels
Hubs Shimano RS-10
Rims Shimano RS-10
Tires 700 x 25c Specialized All Condition Pro
Spoke Brand Stainless steel, 14ga. (2.0mm)
Spoke Nipples Unspecified

or a
09 Specialized Sequoia Elite $1125
FRAME
Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum, fully manipulated tubing, compact design, integrated headset
REAR SHOCK
N/A
FORK
Specialized FACT carbon fork legs, aluminum crown and steerer w/ Zertz inserts, rack eyelets
HEADSET
Specialized Mindset, 1-1/8" integrated threadless, steel cage bearings, 20mm alloy cone with two 5mm alloy spacers
STEM
Specialized Comp-Set, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt 31.8mm bar clamp, 4- position adjustable
HANDLEBARS
Specialized Pro, 2014 alloy, short-drop, ergonomic shaping, 31.8mm
TAPE
Body Geometry Bar Phat, cork ribbon w/ 4mm gel padding
FRONT BRAKE
Ultralight long reach dual pivot brakes, Teflon pivots, forged alloy w/ cartridge pads
REAR BRAKE
Ultralight long reach dual pivot brakes, Teflon pivots, forged alloy w/ cartridge pads
BRAKE LEVERS
Shimano 105, 10-speed STI, flight deck compatible
FRONT DERAILLEUR
Shimano 105, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pull
REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano 105, long cage
SHIFT LEVERS
Shimano 105, 10-speed STI, flight deck compatible
CASSETTE
Shimano 105, 10-speed, 12-27t
CHAIN
Shimano 105, 10-speed
CRANKSET
Sugino Comp, five arm, polished
CHAINRINGS
50 x 39 x 30t
BOTTOM BRACKET
Sealed cartridge, square taper, 68mm x 113mm
PEDALS
Silver cage, black body, w/ toe clip and strap
RIMS
Mavic CXP22 rim, alloy triple-wall, machined sidewalls, 28/32h w/ eyelets
FRONT HUB
Specialized forged alloy, 28h, sealed ball bearings, QR
REAR HUB
Specialized forged alloy, 32h, double sealed ball bearings, cassette, QR
SPOKES
DT Champion, stainless 14g w/ ProLoc brass nipples
FRONT TIRE
Specialized All Condition Pro, 700x25c, aramid bead, 120TPI w/ Flak Jacket
REAR TIRE
Specialized All Condition Pro, 700x25c, aramid bead, 120TPI w/ Flak Jacket
INNER TUBES
Specialized standard presta tube
SADDLE
Body Geometry Fitness, 155mm width
SEATPOST
Specialized carbon wrapped, two-bolt clamp, 27.2mm
SEAT BINDER
Specialized alloy 31.8mm
NOTES
Chain stay protector, chain catcher, derailleur hanger, clear coat, owners manual

·
Registered
86 Posts
congrats on the weight loss. I got into road biking cuz I started mountain biking and wanted to get into better shape for mountain biking. I am not familiar with those bikes that you have posted up, they all look nice. I would lean towards specialized just cause I like there mountain bikes, probably not a real good reason to buy their road bike. good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know this is cliche at this point, but it really DOES come down to what feels best for you. I recently had my heart set on a new Allez Sport ($1300) in white, as I think it is a beautiful bike. Then I rode one and didn't like the geometry. I rode the Synapse (5) and liked it alot. But, the store where I was looking at the Cannondale was REI, which has almost NO EXPERTISE in fitting (at least the one I went to). I still almost bought it anyway. Then I went to a LBS and found a closeout Giant TCR C3 (carbon) with 105 for just a little more ($1500) on closeout and it fit me perfect. So, I ended up with the Giant.

If it were ME, I'd choose the Synapse. But, that's only because I personally liked the feel. Ride the bikes and buy the one that fits you best. They are all good bikes.

Todd

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
BoneDigger said:
I know this is cliche at this point, but it really DOES come down to what feels best for you. I recently had my heart set on a new Allez Sport ($1300) in white, as I think it is a beautiful bike. Then I rode one and didn't like the geometry. I rode the Synapse (5) and liked it alot. But, the store where I was looking at the Cannondale was REI, which has almost NO EXPERTISE in fitting (at least the one I went to). I still almost bought it anyway. Then I went to a LBS and found a closeout Giant TCR C3 (carbon) with 105 for just a little more ($1500) on closeout and it fit me perfect. So, I ended up with the Giant.

If it were ME, I'd choose the Synapse. But, that's only because I personally liked the feel. Ride the bikes and buy the one that fits you best. They are all good bikes.

Todd
great advice here......:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Banned
203 Posts
+1 on the Synapse. I would chose a compact double over a triple every time. You may want to consider going with wider tires. You would get a much smoother ride.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Seeing as you're open to other options and considering you're used to a mtn bike, here's a thought:
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/street/allegro/09_allegro3.html

And a steel version:
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/street/coda/09_codaelite.html

There are several other brands offering fitness/ commuter bikes, so these are just a start.

As mentioned above fit matters most, and how the bike feels (which is related to fit IMO), matters as well.

Last but certainly not least, congrats on the weight loss - you're doing great!! :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts