Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Misfit Toy
23,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was in Nicasio, manning a SAG stop for the TNT Death Ride team. I found a lovely spot, right under a tree. While waiting for my intrepid riders, a group of 5 high school age kids pulled up. Big heavy mountain bikes, loaded down with all kinds of gear, bungeed and tied. Cut off jeans, T-shirts, flat pedals. I'd seen them earlier on Lucas Valley Rd, so I knew they had done some nice hills already.

They plopped down under my tree, and proceeded to have a picnic. It was interesting listening to them talk - these were not your average slacker teens. Super intelligent, funny.. Anyway, I finally went over to talk to them. They were doing a 30 mile "tour" to Samuel P Taylor Park, to camp for the night then come back home. One young girl asked if they sold water in the little store, and I offered to fill their bottles from my supply. We talked about TNT, then I told them about the Death Ride. EYES WIDE "They do that in one day!?!?!" :D

Since they saved money on water, they bought ice cream, then headed out on their adventure. I hope they had a great time, and that I was witness to a new generation of bike tourers.

· Registered
7 Posts
That is very cool. I am trying to get back to that distilled, simple view of cycling after being way too obsessed over wasting tons of money on bike stuff. I realized I strayed too far away from my original goal of cycling, which is just to get out and have fun. It didn't sound like they had much in the way of equipment but it was really all they needed.

· Misfit Toy
23,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simplicity, yeah. They even saved the sticks from their ice cream bars for their campfire. :D

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Nice story.

In our travels we meet groups like that every so often. I'll often talk to them and am usually pleased that they are so friendly and willing to humor and talk to old folks like us.

I still wouldn't want to be 17 again.

47 maybe, 17 no.

· Low rep power
6,294 Posts
MB1 said:
Nice story.

In our travels we meet groups like that every so often. I'll often talk to them and am usually pleased that they are so friendly and willing to humor and talk to old folks like us.

I still wouldn't want to be 17 again.

47 maybe, 17 no.
Oh, I would- IF I could hang on to what I know now- otherwise, no way :D

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Good story. You can find that spirit at any age, in different ways. Years ago my wife and I met a retired couple camping in Yellowstone. They kept a small apartment somewhere down south to stay for 2 or 3 months in the winter, and spent the rest of the year in their camper. The guy had a business card with his name, and the address listed as "General Delivery, USA, north in the summer, south in the winter." Under that it said, "No job, no prospects, no nothin', gone fishin'. Have a nice day."

· Registered
53 Posts
I stayed at Samuel Taylor when I did a tour a few years ago from Seattle to SoCal. They picked a really good park. I wanted to stay an extra day but I ran out of time, Your story made me feel good about the youth of today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.