Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well then, Pandora started something I just have to finish! I was coming home from running to town to pick up a bag of dog food since it appears the hound is going to last through another one (YAY) and they hit a string of Gram Parsons, the Burrito Brothers and EmmyLou. Sitting in the living room with the mutt listening to more Burrito Brothers and I will be downloading the Burrito Brothers Anthology later! Man they were a fine band!!!!!!!!!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want a do over..... 69 to 72 knowing what I do now!!!!!!!

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I think the Pandora software or code or whatever is better than the other services. It will really nail strings of songs I like.

Party On Garth!

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
I will be downloading the Burrito Brothers Anthology later!
anthologies and greatest hits albums don't compare well with studio recordings as they were intended.

just get the first one ('the gilded palace of sin') -- it's ******* phenomenal -- and also find the extended version of the byrds 'sweetheart of the rodeo' with gram's lead vocals on the second disc. if you're still hungry for more, go for it. some people like his two solo albums.

i personally also like the early eagles when they still featured randy meisner and the burritos' bernie leadon, like 'on the border' and the 'desperado' album.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
anthologies and greatest hits albums don't compare well with studio recordings as they were intended.

just get the first one ('the gilded palace of sin') -- it's ******* phenomenal -- and also find the extended version of the byrds 'sweetheart of the rodeo' with gram's lead vocals on the second disc. if you're still hungry for more, go for it. some people like his two solo albums.

i personally also like the early eagles when they still featured randy meisner and the burritos' bernie leadon, like 'on the border' and the 'desperado' album.
I just listed to The Masters TWICE, man it's good!

Parsons, the Byrds, ...have always loved them

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just listed to The Masters TWICE, man it's good!

Parsons, the Byrds, ...have always loved them
Not ashamed to say, when every one was listening to the British invasion, I was listening to American music!

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
gram's music went through a resurgence with the "no depression" crowd in the late '90s when uncle tupelo was finally getting its due. and then the first wilco and son volt albums came out, causing even more demand for "insurgent country" music. young people were rediscovering why gram had made nashville nervous back in '68.

they even made a comedy about his post-death in 'grand theft parsons.' (it's actually pretty funny, uses his music, and michael shannon is in it.)

i just wish we had live film of an actual parsons performance. the burritos opened for the stones at the altamont show, but there's no performance footage of them in the '70 'gimme shelter' documentary.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a copy of Grand Theft Parsons. Also, Gram Parsons, the complete reprise session. It had a bunch of interviews with him.

Otis Gibbs has 2 incredible podcasts with Phil Kaufman, Parsons manager and the man behind fulfilling Parsons wish of being "cremated"

Episodes 3 and 4:
otis gibbs - Thanks for giving a damn - Page 12

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
As an FYI I will most likely get a do-over of 1969 in about 40 or 50 years. Lying there crapping into a diaper, getting spoon fed mashed up peas.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
Gave up on Pandora. Seems that no matter what group I start with, within an hour, they're playing "Stairway to Heaven" again......

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Gave up on Pandora. Seems that no matter what group I start with, within an hour, they're playing "Stairway to Heaven" again......
Yep. You can make Pandora work but you need to spend some time thumbs up and thumbs down-ing. It took me awhile and some persistence but I got it to stop throwing in Beetles crap no matter what "station" I was listening to. PITA!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 40 or 50 artists entered into one station (Americana). After 3 or 4 years it pretty much only plays stuff I like. Not sure if Pandora Plus matters but I do pay for it, well worth it to me, I listen a couple of hours a day.

I bet I haven't hit a thumbs up more than 3 or 4 times ever...

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
I think the Pandora software or code or whatever is better than the other services. It will really nail strings of songs I like.

Party On Garth!
Pandora has some doozies though. I'll turn on a punk rock station and suddenly be swept into a wave of Alabama, Johnny Cash, and Marty Robbins. Then, 5 songs later, back to bagpipes and screaming.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
Yep. You can make Pandora work but you need to spend some time thumbs up and thumbs down-ing. It took me awhile and some persistence but I got it to stop throwing in Beetles crap no matter what "station" I was listening to. PITA!
Why bother? I've found several 'live radio' stations on iHeart that area lot less repetitious. Yeah, other 'artist channels' are as bad or worse than Pandora (those which the 'floor staff' listen to get an awful lot of ZZ Top...).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts