Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now they have a full Ultegra bike with American Classic CR420 wheels for $1300. If a person were to buy that bike, ditch the frame on ebay, buy a better frame on ebay, and build up a bike, they would have a really nice bike for probably around $1600. What am I missing here? Why don't more people do this?

Sorry if I cause a Bikes Direct flame war, but I was curious.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
pre-emptive "do a search" summary...

A. i don't know. bd is great
B. shill!! it could be be a great deal, but they are deceitful. they have quesionable marketing techniques and no customer service.
A. so what does this say about the deal
B. you work for BD. do what you will. btw, can i have the phone number to take part in this great customer service
A. i have the number, but won't tell you. i'm smarter than you b/c my bike is just as good as yours and i paid half as much
B. liar
A. liar

contact the company. if you feel comfortable, pull the trigger. tis simple really. don't let strangers trump your gut. you will ultimately love/endure your decision. flame wars aside, you've already made up your mind. don't look to us bb doods for the seal/doom of approval/death.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
ampastoral said:
pre-emptive "do a search" summary...

A. i don't know. bd is great
B. shill!! it could be be a great deal, but they are deceitful. they have quesionable marketing techniques and no customer service.
A. so what does this say about the deal
B. you work for BD. do what you will. btw, can i have the phone number to take part in this great customer service
A. i have the number, but won't tell you. i'm smarter than you b/c my bike is just as good as yours and i payed half as much
B. liar
A. liar

contact the company. if you feel comfortable, pull the trigger. tis simple really. don't let strangers trump your gut. you will ultimately love/endure your decision. flame wars aside, you've already made up your mind. don't look to us bb doods for the seal/doom of approval/death.
LMAO.........great post.....Liar ;) ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I haven't made up my mind to pull the trigger yet. Mainly cause I'm in college and don't have $1300 to toss at a Motobecane bike. I probably am buying a Specialized frame off eBay to build using the parts from my Trek that is too small, and just thought that in the future that might be a good option for getting new components and wheels at a low price.

By the way, thats exactly the kind of flame war I expected to see.

·
Registered
638 Posts
One reason I can think that more people don't do it is the cost of transferring everything. Many people don't have all the tools or skills required so it costs them money to transfer the parts over. Then add in the time and trouble of selling the old frame on ebay and for many the $200-300 saved vs. not having LBS support just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just got mine about a month ago. No need to swap the frame. I personally wouldn't want a frame less stiff than this. Every time I get on this bike I have an ear to ear grin. It makes me giggle. It accelerates like a bat out of hell. I couldn't imagine a bike feeling better. My perception my be swayed from 3 months of fixed gear riding, but I really like this bike, and can't believe it was that cheap. Pics are in another thread, in case anyone thinks this review is too good to be true.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
time + knowledge + skill = creation of value

Your question assumes that:

1. Everyone has loads of free time to buy and sell repeatedly and wrench bikes.

2. Everyone is a skilled bike michanic, and has all the requisite knowledge about bike fit, component sizing and all the tools necessary.

3. There is no risk of selling and buying on ebay and possibly getting ripped off.

4. Shipping is free.

Unfortunately none of these assumptions is true. The average consumer just doesn't have that kind of free time, knowledge and skill and doesn't want to bother with the hassle and risk.

Besides, even for a skilled mechanic and experienced ebayer who has loads free time, $1600 can buy you a lot of bike. Just check out the "best deal" thread.

scfishy said:
Right now they have a full Ultegra bike with American Classic CR420 wheels for $1300. If a person were to buy that bike, ditch the frame on ebay, buy a better frame on ebay, and build up a bike, they would have a really nice bike for probably around $1600. What am I missing here? Why don't more people do this?

·
Racial Profiler
348 Posts
scfishy said:

Lots of people do do this.

If you keep an eye on the site, gradually BD will sell out of the sizes

Then about 2 weeks later you will see a bunch of Motobecane frames show up on ebay, along with various aspects of the components - AC420 wheelset, $399.. FSA Carbon Cranks w/ BB $199, Tektro R40 Brakes $50... etc.

I bought my moto with exactly that same thought in mind - "If it sucks, I'll just strip it and sell the frame on Ebay"

Luckily, it didn't suck, so I didn't sell it on ebay. Maybe next year.

Oh - and keep an eye out - eventually they will have that same build for $1100.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I am a far cry from being a skilled mechanic. I was thinking of buying a bigger frame on ebay and putting the stuff from my Trek 1200 on it. I think that would be a good way to learn how to do all that stuff. It is something I want to learn to do anyway. I was thinking of asking if anyone from my bike club would help me do it. Gotta learn sometime.

·
Banned
476 Posts
can you believe this?

I can not believe there is another post like this; with the same unjustified responses

It should be easy to compare bikes today -- easy to load the specs in a spread sheet
and decide which is best deal if you are driven by specs

If a buyer is driven by something besides specs; then how good of a deal a bike is doesnt matter.

And some buyers are online buyers [means you expect no service]
Some are shop buys [means you require service]
No need to compare store prices to internet [stores will never beat internet on price only and onlines sites will never beat stores on service]

However, the strip and recall thing seems like too much work unless you enjoy doing it AND I see no evidence that online bikes do not have frames just as good as shop bikes anyway.

weather it is bikesdirect or someone else; there will always be some seller that is lower than everyone else [but that may change from year to year, month to month, or even day to day]

how this makes anyone a liar is hard for me to see

·
Registered
616 Posts
A friend of mine just bought a Mercier alu/carbon with Ultegra10, Ritchey Protocol wheels and Ritchey cockpit for $999 shipped from BD. The kit alone was worth the money spent. He says the bike rides great and it weighs 17 pounds. He was missing the top cap for the stem/headset. He called BD and they overnighted him the part.

I know people on this board like to crap on everything, but sometimes a good deal really is...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
You could cobble a pretty decent bike with $1600 without dealing with BD. Groupo could come from probikekit.com, 11speed.com, totalbike.com, wheels from mike garcia , or eBay. i have 3- 10 spd cobbled bikes with the most expensive being $1100, but there steel frames and non-boutique wheels. still it's some of the best eye candy i've seen.

·
Registered
616 Posts
For $1600 yeah, but not at $999 for the Mercier or $1295 for the Motobecane. An Ultegra KIT, not group, is pretty close to $1000 at dead cost.

If I was going to buy a one season race rig that I knew was going to get canned in October, I'd buy the Motobecane for $1295 and ride the piss out of it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
ritchey wheels and bikesdirect...

the one spec'd item on the mercier that led me to buy it was the set of ritchey protocols. while i cant ride them because of the low spoke count - i've had nothing but problems with low spoke count wheels in the past and have given up on anything but 32 or 36 spoked wheels - i know that lots of lighter-weight riders like them. figured that i could sell them for a decent price. it looks as though 400 bucks is the going price on ebay. as it turns out, my girlfriend really likes them and she's lobbying me to cut her a deal on the pair. they really look nice and they are very lightweight. but all other lower-priced bikes from online retailers had wheelsets that just didnt compare to the ritcheys.
on another thread i'd posted that i'd been told by bikesdirect that the ritchey protocols they were selling were not the recalled wheels. i'd also noted that i'd wanted to doublecheck with ritchey. well, after about 3 weeks, ritchey finally returned my phone call - so much for quick customer service responses when businesses post their phone numbers!! - and they told me how to determine if the wheels were ok and not in need of returning because of the recall.
the guy from ritchey said this: if the wheel had a small white sticker on it that said: "quality assured" then it was ok and not under the recall. indeed the rear wheel i'd gotten from bikesdirect did have this sticker. so bikesdirect had been candid and straight forward.

·
Registered
32 Posts
scfishy said:
Well I am a far cry from being a skilled mechanic. I was thinking of buying a bigger frame on ebay and putting the stuff from my Trek 1200 on it. I think that would be a good way to learn how to do all that stuff. It is something I want to learn to do anyway. I was thinking of asking if anyone from my bike club would help me do it. Gotta learn sometime.
I think that's a great idea. I built up my first real mountain bike about 12 years ago, and had a friend who knew alot more than I did help me out.

It forces you to learn about every aspect of the bike, instead of just routine maintenence. Once you build up a bike or two with a friend, you'll be much more comfortable wrenching them yourself, and it's a fun project as well.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
collectorvelo said:
And some buyers are online buyers [means you expect no service]
Some are shop buys [means you require service]
Well, that's about as bad as logic gets. I buy online what I can't get locally. Everything else, I buy at one of a couple LBS. Why? Not because I require service.....I don't. Rather, I like the shops. They're staffed w/ good people, and they go to the effort and expense to stock a wide range of stuff that most LBS don't stock.

"...means you require service." Yeah. What a joke.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts