Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's gone until Thursday, and I'm thinking about getting up early tomorrow for a longish ride to a restaurant I like for breakfast. Got the weather forecast:
18 degrees at 6 a.m., warming to 60, possibly 70 by afternoon, then cooling to the 20s. Sunny in the morning, possible snow by evening, definite show first part of next week.
Oh, well--at least it will freeze the blossoms on the peach tree.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
How the hell is it going from 18 to 70 in one day?

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Toughen up!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,915 Posts
that's easy, slippers by the fire until it warms up

·
gazing from the shadows
27,285 Posts
base layer, wool, shell. Shed the shell as it warms, shed the base layer if it hits 60.

I would probably go with knickers and tights over them if I started at 18. 18+ bike speed wind chill is nothing to mess with. I'd pull the tights once it got to freezing or a bit over. Or a on a long grinding climb.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
That's flippin nuts. Some leg warmers and a thin jacket over a summer weight long sleeve jersey?

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Cory said:
My wife's gone until Thursday, and I'm thinking about getting up early tomorrow for a longish ride to a restaurant I like for breakfast. Got the weather forecast:
18 degrees at 6 a.m., warming to 60, possibly 70 by afternoon, then cooling to the 20s. Sunny in the morning, possible snow by evening, definite show first part of next week.
Oh, well--at least it will freeze the blossoms on the peach tree.
Easy, wait until noon then go

·
Frog Whisperer
40,915 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
Start out dressed for the Iditarod, end in a Speedo.

You will need a support vehicle for such an epic expedition.
I see this as volunteering! OEH just wants to see Cory in a speedo....

·
Frog Whisperer
40,915 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
Speedos are ghastly.

I prefer viking outfits. Can he ride his bike in a viking outfit?
The helmets are very dangerous in crashes

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
sounds like southern illinois brevets in january/february.

hoo's right. base layer, wool, etc etc etc, and shed/add.

do you have one of those wind/waterproof helmet covers?

wool sox are good for all day, and i always enjoyed wearing those really large/bulky neoprene shoe covers.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DrRoebuck said:
How the hell is it going from 18 to 70 in one day?
Pretty common here. We're at 5000 feet with low humidity, and 40-50 degree swings aren't unusual. People come up from the flatlands to ride around Lake Tahoe in the summer, and when the sun goes down the temp will drop from 80s to 40s in an hour, then continue to the 20s or even teens before morning.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Lighter non-fleeced bib-knickers with full length leg warmers underneath.

Base layer, short sleeve jersey and a wind resistant fleeced cycling jacket plus toe warmers and full finger windresistant gloves.

Just add/remove the leg warmers, toe warmers and undo/remove the jacket as required.

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Sounds just like Colorado. It's the altitude and the low humidity. It gets pretty cold at night even in the summer. Low 60's at night is about as warm as it gets in the summer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts