Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After joining the DSLR club I'm now trying to get a bit better at composition and a general photographic eye. I took quite a few photos at Jamestown today while on my annual anniversary trip with the missus. I think that I actually got a couple of decent shots. I need to remember to remove the hood when using the flash since it blocks part of the frame (DOH). But I tried to slow down a bit. Now it's time to relax and head to the pub for a beer.

Edit: I could only do a little work with the photos on the computer since I have only my laptop and iPhoto. I hope to play a little more with the B&W shot to cut the bright spots in the rear of the shot.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
VaughnA said:
Edit: I could only do a little work with the photos on the computer since I have only my laptop and iPhoto. I hope to play a little more with the B&W shot to cut the bright spots in the rear of the shot.
you could title the series simply:

Innuendo

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
svend said:
you could title the series simply:

Innuendo

Shabang!

joe

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
The bright spots on the b+w shot don't bother me, since it's all background and the foreground is properly exposed. The only thing I would try is opening up the aperture to get a shallower depth-of-focus.

I dig the boat shot a lot.

And yes, Svendo nailed the title. (not code)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Nice shots.

Funny series title too :)

My only advice would be to try and focus the viewers attention. In other words. Have a clear picture in your mind of what your subject is. In the first one I can tell it's the hanging ball. The second it's the tied rope. The other two are rather busy. The eye jumps from place to place in the image. They don't seem to have one idea/theme/subject.

Sometimes the easiest way to achieve this is to move in closer. As Dr mentioned you can also use Depth of Field ie. low aperture.

Keep at it! Nice shots.

http://www.tober1.com

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I'm with Dr. R. A smaller F-stop would have helped a lot. Especially in teh first shot and the shot of the candle holder (too bad there wasn't one, it would have added a cool bit to the pic). I like the boat shot the best.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
The bright spots on the b+w shot don't bother me, since it's all background and the foreground is properly exposed. The only thing I would try is opening up the aperture to get a shallower depth-of-focus.

I dig the boat shot a lot.

And yes, Svendo nailed the title. (not code)
Frank and Beans anyone?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I will tell you the first thing I was told when I had a professional photographer review my portfolio,

"Frame the shot you like, take three steps forward, then release the shutter."

Tightening up the crop on your images before taking the shot will also help you control your exposure range.

"The camera", "The negative", & "The print" by Ansel Adams are manditory reading if you want to get serious about photography. Although they are written around B&W film photography it all still applies to the digital world. Understanding his zone system will not only help you expose your shots correctly, but also help you compose images that are technically correct and dramatic for the viewer.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
The B&W is too busy and you didn't compose or use your focal point to give depth to the image.

If you had focused on the handle of the wheelbarrow you would have thrown the background into a softer focus and give the viewer an impression of distance from the front to the rear of the image.

That first color image you did use focus to create a feeling of depth and you have a nice composition there along the lines of the rule of thirds. That is my fav here.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments. I see ALL of your points on the photos. I was concentrating on framing for composition and didn't concentrate enough on the depth of field. I need to remember to keep all of the factors in my mind. I'm hoping to have some nice subjects tomorrow in Williamsburg. I like the idea of step forward. I'm also learning to love having a wider angle lens than was available with my P&S. It's nice to have some good friends to critique my photos.

Keep the comments coming. I'm hoping to post part II tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.