Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about every post I checked deals with pain in the front of the knee. I, however, am having discomfort in the back of the knee. Specifically, the outer, rear part of my right knee. (I think it may be the hamstring tendon, but am not sure.) The pain is located in the cord-like thingy (technical term... ;) ) that comes down from the hamstring area and insertsjust behind and below the knee. I usually start feeling pain after 20 or 30 miles, but it is not so awful as to prevent my continuing. However, I plan to ride Seattle to Portland this year, and I know it would get tiresome after a couple hundred miles.
A bit about me... Big guy (260 or so, 6'1"), short legs, long torso, and this has been an ongoing issue over the course of the last couple of years since I returned to riding after having my acchilles tendons surgically lengthened. (I actually had this issue before the surgeries, so I don't see that as a potential cause.) I have made NO changes to my position on the bike, either.
Any advice will be welcome. Thanks in advance, all.
Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
baker's cyst
check it out on the web.
It feels real tight, like something might snap if you continue.
I have the same problem. I tried changing my cleat around. It helped a little.
I take a couple of advil and try to work through it. The first ten miles are tough.
Doctor says ice after riding.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MxThump19 said:
baker's cyst
check it out on the web.
It feels real tight, like something might snap if you continue.
I have the same problem. I tried changing my cleat around. It helped a little.
I take a couple of advil and try to work through it. The first ten miles are tough.
Doctor says ice after riding.
Hope this helps
Thanks for throwing that out there, but I don't think that's it. There is none of the characteristic swelling one sees with a Baker's cyst, and the pain is really not that bad, just uncomfortable.
Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hamstring Tendon

For what it is worth I am an orthopedic Physical Therapist. Usually I only see Post-Op patients but this is the classic sign of Biceps Femoris Hamstring tendon. You have Three hamstring muscles. This one being the outside one and it attaches to the little bone at the outside of your leg (Fibula). Usually to the top and alittle to the back. From your description of where the pain is this is what I would say. Stretching before and after you ride would help. Hold for 20-30 seconds.
With your foot on a chair try to imagine a string from your chest to your toes and someone is pulling it.(if you just try to touch your toes you incorp. more of your back. Try to keep the back as neutral as possible.) While doing so now turn (rotate)your foot(leg) inward and this will cause an increased stretch to the outside of your leg. you may feel the stretch up higher as it inserts into your rear. Rest and ice are also helpful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I forgot...

I also agree depending on where your pain is that it is not a Bakers Cyst which is usually associated with arthritis and is more medially in the knee, although it is in the back. It will also feel like a pea, you can move it around.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jnwarner0 said:
For what it is worth I am an orthopedic Physical Therapist. Usually I only see Post-Op patients but this is the classic sign of Biceps Femoris Hamstring tendon. You have Three hamstring muscles. This one being the outside one and it attaches to the little bone at the outside of your leg (Fibula). Usually to the top and alittle to the back. From your description of where the pain is this is what I would say. Stretching before and after you ride would help. Hold for 20-30 seconds.
With your foot on a chair try to imagine a string from your chest to your toes and someone is pulling it.(if you just try to touch your toes you incorp. more of your back. Try to keep the back as neutral as possible.) While doing so now turn (rotate)your foot(leg) inward and this will cause an increased stretch to the outside of your leg. you may feel the stretch up higher as it inserts into your rear. Rest and ice are also helpful.
Thanks for the tip on the stretch. I always stretch before I ride, nit I have never been able to isolate the area that was bothering me. I will try your twist on it next time I go out.
Thanks again.
Paul

·
Registered
456 Posts
Let me preface my reply by saying that without actually being able to examine you, it is all just speculation. However, a few posibilities come to mind:

1. Bakers Cyst
2. Torn meniscus (I had one on each knee--each one felt different)
3. Tendonitis of some sort
4. Bursitis
5. Popliteal aneurism (quite unlikely)

If you are planning a big ride this year, I would recommend being examined by an orthopedic surgeon. It may be something that needs fixing, or it may respond to NSAIDs (motrin, aleve, etc.).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Try lowering your seat by just a little bit. This is the most basic thing to do first if you have pain in the back of your knees. I don't know if this would help since you only have pain on the right side but try it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts