Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought one of those $25 Trek plastic rain jackets that are clear/see through. It was great this past week in Cali while it was pouring. Only one downside...

In my rush to catch my plane with only 1hr to do laundry, I threw all my crap into the dryer, including the jacket, and it shriveled up into a melted plastic heap. This was on low heat.

So it's time to buy a rain jacket and I didn't like the answers to the threads that were previously posted. This is for all temps, but mostly 50s-60s.

Requirements:
1. Washable and dryable
2. Waterproof -- not just water resistant
3. More packable than the trek one -- ie, better than barely fitting into a loose pocket
4. Under $120, preferrably under $100

Vermarc Rain Jacket (flexothane) $65
Cannondale Morphis Shell $75
Pearl Izumi Optik $70
Shower Pass ProTech $100
Descente Wunderview $25 -- i could cheap out again and get the non-washable one

Note: The Cannondale, Descente, and PI would be purchased from my LBS. This would be great, but is my second priority behind functionality.

Thanks

·
Shut up legs!
1,282 Posts
I have shower pass and I love it. It's light and I don't steam up inside of it. Also it keeps me a bit warmer too during the chilly rides.

The only downside to them is the zipper that can easily get caught on the zipper flap. So when you zip up, or especially down, you must do it carefully and slowly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the PI Optik in both vest and jacket, and like them both a lot.Not positive if its waterproof, and I have never bothered to dry it in the dryer, but I wouldn't likely do that anyways. Both roll up into their own pocket, and are quite small when rolled - easily fit in a jersey pocket.

·
Registered
603 Posts
kdub said:
I have shower pass and I love it. It's light and I don't steam up inside of it. Also it keeps me a bit warmer too during the chilly rides.

The only downside to them is the zipper that can easily get caught on the zipper flap. So when you zip up, or especially down, you must do it carefully and slowly.
Yeah, but which one do you have? They sell a bunch now - I bet the Pro Tech is a lot steamer than the Elite 2.0, or even the Double Century.

·
Shut up legs!
1,282 Posts
PaulRivers said:
Yeah, but which one do you have? They sell a bunch now - I bet the Pro Tech is a lot steamer than the Elite 2.0, or even the Double Century.

The Pro Tech one. It will get just a bit moist from the condensation inside, but definitely not dripping water like my old plastic raincoat.

·
Registered
603 Posts
With all due respect, I don't know of any rain jacket that's machine dryable. I mean, I don't *necessarily* know that they aren't dryable, but...I think "don't dry it" is pretty standard for rain jackets. Here's the page for eVent fabric, one of those most high tech and breathable materials for waterproof jackets, which is actually *expected* to be washed, and it recommends drip drying the jacket:
http://www.eventfabrics.com/care_and_maintenance.php

They usually recommend washing the jacket separately, and using special detergent, to.

In the Showers Pass category, the Protech is the most packable jacket but the Double Century looks like a *much* more waterproof and breathable jacket that's slightly less packable. Numbers from their site -

Protech:
Windproof-waterproof-breathable micro-membrane transparent stretch fabric which is waterproof to a water column standard of 5,000mmm. The Moisture Vapor Transmission Rate is 1,000 g/square-meter/24hours.

The fabric used in the Double Century Jacket has a waterproof level of 20,000 mm and an MVTR of 8,000 g/24-hr.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
The Optik is very thin polyester. It's meant to be a lightweight breathable windbreaker, not waterproof. Check it out at your LBS. PI has thicker jackets if you want more water resistance.
No need to machine dry cycling clothes when hang drying works fine.

·
Bike Rider
238 Posts
For light showers or cooler days, I have a nice, expensive Pearl Izumi jacket. For torrential downpours and dirty conditions, it's the old plastic rain jacket. The plastic jacket is easier to carry in a jersey pocket.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
In my rush to catch my plane with only 1hr to do laundry, I threw all my crap into the dryer, including the jacket, and it shriveled up into a melted plastic heap. This was on low heat.
You kind of failed at your fail. If you really want to fail at putting plastic in a clothes dryer, you have to do what one of my former firm's employees' daughter did. The girl (actually young woman, she was in her early 20s), threw a lot of stuff, including some plastic stuff, into a clothes dryer at a commercial laundromat. The plastic stuff melted and wrecked the dryer. The laundromat owner then threatened to sue her if she did not come up with several hundred dollars to fix the dryer. She called his bluff and did not pay; he did not sue. But, ever since then I always have made sure that I do not put plastic in the dryer.

Insofar as a plastic jacket is concerned, I have come to the conclusion that there is no good middle-price point rain jacket out there. Unless you are willing to spend $$$ for something like the Assos jacket, go for the cheapest plastic shell you can find -- the more expensive ones are not much better and definitely not worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've never felt the need to machine dry any of my riding gear. Technical clothing in general does not respond well to that kind of treatment. Hang dry or lay flat to dry all the way.

Jim

·
Bike Rider
238 Posts
I have a lot of Gore-Tex snowboarding and other outdoor gear, I have found that washing it with most normal detergents, including stuff like Woolite, does not really help the waterproof membrane's capability to work. I try to not wash the stuff. That's why I prefer black; it doesn't show the dirt as well.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I don't put any of my riding gear in the dryer at any temp.

I use the Clear Cheapo from Performance with velcro closure and just hose it down and let it drip dry in the garage on a hanger. Other than the 'Dryer' or a Crash, I think it is fairly indestructible.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have the Peral Izumi Slice and love it. It packs extremely small, is comfortable and works good in the rain. The hood goes over the helmet and detaches and packs in a pocket on the inside of the jacket. I use it for travel as well since it packs so small. The only downside for travel is the hood looks a bit dorky if you use it without a helmet. :)

I bought mine at REI.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the old PI Optik. Like has been said it is not waterproof, but it does keep most of the water off of you, folds up into a tiny pocket and has been great for me.

Why do you need it to go in the dryer? Most of these jackets will be completely dry in just minutes if hung on a line. There is no padding to hold onto the water.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
First, never put any cycling clothes in the dryer. They air dry very quickly anyway.

Second, Craft also makes a nice rain jacket. Although I haven't tried it, they might be worth checking out because Craft clothes are generally very well made and designed. It is also available in neon yellow, which I prefer for added visibility in rain.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Exactly- most rain jackets can be shaken out, and they are dry. A rain jacket by definition should not absorb water--- right?

PaulRivers said:
With all due respect, I don't know of any rain jacket that's machine dryable. I mean, I don't *necessarily* know that they aren't dryable, but...I think "don't dry it" is pretty standard for rain jackets.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
I've never found one that wasn't a sauna if the outside temp was above 65 degrees whether it breaths or not. What say you?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.