Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And is it usual to have these wearing out...

So far this was only like 2 days of practicing clipping in and out before I ride. Once I was completely used to it, I saw that. OMG

Don't tell me these wear out super fast.

Can I keep practicing clipping in and out, and have these wear out even faster, but I won't ever experience the timber fall at a stop?

Or should I stop practicing.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
You'll still fall, I practiced quite a bit too! I read that EVERYONE falls at least once. I got cocky and figured I wouldn't... My third ride I did in front a lot of people on a group ride. My advice - unclip both sides when you come to a stop.
Just get out and ride, and have fun!

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
It's a soft part rubbing against a hard part...

Actually I can't speak from recent experience, because I went back to toe clips for the convenience and float and the ability to ride without shoes that make me walk like Donald Duck. But you have a soft piece clipping into a hard piece, and some wear is inevitable. It will wear faster if the fit is way loose, which it may be if you adjusted it for easy clip-in and -out, but they don't last forever.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,046 Posts
Cory said:
It's a soft part rubbing against a hard part...
NOW you got me all excited!

·
papa sboak
1,022 Posts
I've never fallen with clipless. Not once. But then, I'm super paranoid about doing so.

I used to practice clipping out while leaning against a wall, 50 times each side, before I ventured out into traffic using them.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,321 Posts
BoootyHoIe said:
Don't tell me these wear out super fast.

Can I keep practicing clipping in and out, and have these wear out even faster, but I won't ever experience the timber fall at a stop?

Look style cleats wear out QUICK-if you do ANY walking on them. If you need to do any kind of walking, get some Kool Kovers cleat covers-that permit walking without damaging the cleats.

Before I left Look pedals I'd usually get a set of cleats to last 6 months, with having to unclip and stop at lots of crosswalks..

Cleats are worn out when you start having difficulty clipping in and out. Fortunately the Look ones are cheap, as cleats go.

·
Use my Apps :)
1,010 Posts
Practice won't make perfect here...

I'd say all the "foot downing" you were doing while practicing wore them much quicker than what real riding would do. On a typical ride I'll click out and foot down perhaps 6 times. Most of the time you can time lights and stops such that you never click out. And when I do click out I'm virtually stopped so there is little or no movement on the pavement with the cleat. Also, never "shove off" with the downed foot. Keep the opposite foot clipped in and up so you can stroke down on it to start. When I get home I take the shoes of right away. Even so I end up replacing cleats every year or two.

As far as falling .... don't worry about it. If/when the "big one" comes you'll click out or you won't, period. If your legs twist in the wreckage, out they'll click. In all the wicked endos I've taken in my mountain biking days I never stayed clipped in. Perhaps the ankle-out motion was reflex for me but I doubt it. I think they just click out easier than you think as long as you aren't fixating on getting out !

The only time I keeled over at a light was wearing old style cleats and straps. The kind where the cleat had a deep groove for the back of the pedal cage. My Looks were broken and I was riding "retro". I rolled up to the stop, twisted the old ankle and nothing happened. By then it was too late to lean over and loosen the strap...timber ! :blush2:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Are those Look cleats? I had the old style delta cleats for many years before switching to Look Keos. IME, the Keos wear very quickly. I try not to take any unnecessary steps in them. Cleat covers are, IMO, absolutely mandatory for Keo cleats. Since I started using cleat covers, I can get a season (5000 - 7000 miles) out of a set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.