Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just having quite the run of health problems here. It happened when I was sick, feeling terrible etc so my strength was already way down.

My desk faces my window and in the afternoon the sun comes in so I have to lean way over and adjust the blinds. Usually my right foot will be planted and my right thigh is leaning against the desk and I bend way over to reach the blinds.

I've done this about every day for 5 years and some days it just strains the back of my knee a bit. Other than a bit of soreness it's never been a problem.

Well I did it while sick and I must've torn or seriously strained something because it's swollen, it hurts really bad (like, why is Creaky up early today? becuase the pain woke him up), and the range of motion is about zero and I can't put any weight on it without horrible pain.

Thank God for Extra Strength Liquid Tylenol, because Ibu and Naproxen have proven to be worthless on this one.

So. I don't know why I'm even asking, I guess I need to go see my GP again, for the 4th time this year? When I haven't seen him for so long before that, that they didn't even have my records anymore?

Blah. It really hurts.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Creakyknees said:
I'm just having quite the run of health problems here. It happened when I was sick, feeling terrible etc so my strength was already way down. ...............

So. I don't know why I'm even asking, I guess I need to go see my GP again, for the 4th time this year? When I haven't seen him for so long before that, that they didn't even have my records anymore?
Yeah, don't repeat the last crisis: "squirty for a week...... see a doc?". You're a smart guy. You certainly don't need our approval. Go. Doc. Soon.

Are there any better options than your GP?

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'm really asking, what's he gonna say besides "RICE and wait a week to see if it gets better"

And btw - the squirty thing turned out to get better on it's own. While Doc was sympathetic, he had nothing to do with getting over it.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That cryo-cuff looks like it would feel really good right now. I've been rubbing a bag of frozen blueberries and it helps a bit.

Calling the doc when they open.

Should I go GP, or straight to the Ortho? My plan lets me choose.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
If you can choose, go straight to the ortho. And don't be surprised if they won't do an MRI right away. Many health plans require you to try conservative treatment first before they will pay for one. But if your exam shows definitive signs of a tear and your physician documents them well in the record, you might be able to get around this.

Good luck!

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
I'd go to the Ortho first. Until they can see you, RICE it down. MRI would probably be in order since you are an athlete and this could ruin you comeback......oh wait that was another old guy....sorry.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Go to the Ortho first! If it is swollen and painful something is definitely wrong in there. The only way they will be able to find out for sure is with an MRI. Soft tissue isn't going to show up in an X-Ray.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Isn't this why we have two knees?

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
My knees have been giving me fits for over a year now. I stayed off the bike/spinner most of the winter, lot's of PT, stretching, etc. and nothing is helping. Now I have a ganglion cyst on my wrist. I feel for ya bro. This getting old business sucks.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I'm confuzelled. How does rubbing a bag of blueberrys help?
they're frozen. so like ice, but shapes to your leg.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts