Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I don't need any smartass $hit here, this is important (at least to me, and I am asking HERE rather than on the facebook version)
So in December I turned 63 and I smacked out well over a 1000 miles on the rollers from January till March, and since then I have over 500 miles on the actual road on multiple bikes. For the first time EVER I have knee pain, right knee only, inside, the medial collateral ligament, i suspect. How do i fix it?

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
Ride slightly less enthusiastically. <<< This is assuming you've been comfortable for many years and your fit is the way you like it.

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
Cut down the miles/intensity a bit, maybe even some extended rest, stretch and ice.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Pain only when riding? Or is it constant pain?

Adding extra collagen and glycine-rich foods to your diet won't hurt. Bone broth, organ meats etc.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ride slightly less enthusiastically. <<< This is assuming you've been comfortable for many years and your fit is the way you like it.
NOOOOOOOO, my season just started!!!
Cut down the miles/intensity a bit, maybe even some extended rest, stretch and ice.
Actually, just iced it for an hour and it is improved

Pain only when riding? Or is it constant pain?

Adding extra collagen and glycine-rich foods to your diet won't hurt. Bone broth, organ meats etc.
does not hurt when I ride at all! (see below)

Back off.....take a few weeks off....swim...hurt when you walk??
yes, almost exclusively when I walk, tried switching foot wear, that MIGHT make some difference

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

There have been no changes to my bikes/fit for years...... My body.... Maybe not so much

·
Non non normal
10,101 Posts
The only time my knee ever hurt riding was early in the season when I ramped up the length and intensity of my rides too quick. It would only hurt after longer hard rides. I had to back off a bit and give it time. It is either that or the fact that you are 63.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The only time my knee ever hurt riding was early in the season when I ramped up the length and intensity of my rides too quick. It would only hurt after longer hard rides. I had to back off a bit and give it time. It is either that or the fact that you are 63.
well, I am not doing anything different this season than I have in years past... except, the 63 part.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Speaking as someone with bad knees for the past three decades, you should consider yourself lucky.

Age hits everyone, but let's assume this is not age related. Mostly because there isn't much to do about that other than start icing and treating the inflammation, taking it easy during recovery as needed, etc.

I am going to guess you tweaked your knee doing something off the bike, and then your riding aggravated it. It doesn't take much to tweak a knee by stepping wrong, turning when walking carrying a load, or other things. A little tweak, then thousands of pedal revolutions, makes things worse. And when I say a little tweak, I mean you might have felt a slight twinge, but no pain and after a few seconds things felt normal... but were not.

So, treat it as an acute injury, get it healed, then up your riding again. If that doesn't take care of it, then you can either consider it the breakdown of aging, or as damage a doctor might help you address.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Speaking as someone with bad knees for the past three decades, you should consider yourself lucky.

Age hits everyone, but let's assume this is not age related. Mostly because there isn't much to do about that other than start icing and treating the inflammation, taking it easy during recovery as needed, etc.

I am going to guess you tweaked your knee doing something off the bike, and then your riding aggravated it. It doesn't take much to tweak a knee by stepping wrong, turning when walking carrying a load, or other things. A little tweak, then thousands of pedal revolutions, makes things worse. And when I say a little tweak, I mean you might have felt a slight twinge, but no pain and after a few seconds things felt normal... but were not.

So, treat it as an acute injury, get it healed, then up your riding again. If that doesn't take care of it, then you can either consider it the breakdown of aging, or as damage a doctor might help you address.
The killer is, it really feels good while I am riding, no issues at all; and for a couple of hours afterwards as well. The worst of it is after NOT using it, sitting in a chair watching tv. I have ditched the ottoman, feet flat on the floor is far better, the knee is bent not over straightened. Still, the first few steps, it is balking but use helps. I have been doing a lot of work on a ladder (cleaning and re-staining the house) which requires straight leg and leaning forward with the knee against another rung. I am wondering if that is part of the problem

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I climb ladders at work and I would bet that they are the reason for your pain. You use a lot of stabilizer muscles in your legs while attempting to stay balanced on the ladders and that along with the pressure of placing your knee against the rungs is most likely causing the problems. Good luck.

Dale

·
Super Moderator
40,842 Posts
The killer is, it really feels good while I am riding, no issues at all; and for a couple of hours afterwards as well. The worst of it is after NOT using it, sitting in a chair watching tv. I have ditched the ottoman, feet flat on the floor is far better, the knee is bent not over straightened. Still, the first few steps, it is balking but use helps. I have been doing a lot of work on a ladder (cleaning and re-staining the house) which requires straight leg and leaning forward with the knee against another rung. I am wondering if that is part of the problem
I think you're onto something here (besides a ladder).

My personal conclusion, were I in your situation, would be that aging is indeed catching up with me, and that painting and staining, or ladder work in general, is a younger man's job, and that I'd just have to farm it out.

Then I'd go for a nice ride.:)

Reactions: 9W9W

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
Ice it right after the ride. Maybe some anti-inflammatories. Stretch it out, pull your heel up to your butt.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Probably not MCL unless you remember a specific injury. Tendonitis classically hurts more as the joint cools off and when you first start moving it after rest. Sometimes regular ol' arthritis will do that. At any rate if it's not bothering you while you ride, then ride on!

I vote for the ladder as the culprit.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Probably not MCL unless you remember a specific injury. Tendonitis classically hurts more as the joint cools off and when you first start moving it after rest. Sometimes regular ol' arthritis will do that. At any rate if it's not bothering you while you ride, then ride on!

I vote for the ladder as the culprit.
well, I have had problems with tendonitis lots of times and this does indeed feel like it could be. That is why I concluded connective tissue rather than arthritis. Beside it really doesn't feel like it is the joint.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Ladders can really mess up your legs, specially if they have round rungs.
If you haven't changed your cleat position, doubled your mileage, or been doing heavy MTI's, your best bet is the ladder.
I hear the drinking mass quantities of Vodka before climbing those things, will cure the problem.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
When's the last time you got a professional ladder fit?

Sorry, I couldn't resist

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ladders can really mess up your legs, specially if they have round rungs.
If you haven't changed your cleat position, doubled your mileage, or been doing heavy MTI's, your best bet is the ladder.
I hear the drinking mass quantities of Vodka before climbing those things, will cure the problem.
well, since I hate heights in the first place, I will reserve the alcohol for when I get down

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When's the last time you got a professional ladder fit?

Sorry, I couldn't resist
It IS vertically stiff but not laterally compliant

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.