Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
that is an awesome build!!! of course you had to go thomson with the post/stem combo, that is a no-brainer. Chorus-sweeeeet. How do you like the eurus wheels so far? I had looked at these in the past.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went for the first ride today on them. They seem pretty nice and stiff. Bad news is I put a ding in the braking surface but was able to fix with a bit of sand paper :( guess it's like the first scratch, get it over with quick.

·
Registered
727 Posts
exactly, the first ding on a shiny perfect bike is always the toughest isnt it? glad the wheels are rolling well though. what tires are you running? are they bonty race lite's?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, they are some inexpensive Vittoras (sp?). Seem ok so far.

I went for a longer ride today about 37 miles and I have to say the campy drive train is so smooth. It shifted right every time and I only dropped the chain once and that was due to a front D being out of adjustment. The bike accelerates like crazy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Very nice.

I've had mine (a '98) for many years and continue to really enjoy the ride. Now you've inspired me to give it a little update (new wheels, fork, and stem might be in order).

Just a thought: It may just be the camera angle, but your bars seem to be rotated very far forward giving your hoods a downward slope. I spent years with my hoods only slightly sloped forward, but my LBS tilted the bars back to render the hoods flat last summer. I was skeptical because i was so accustomed to the old position, but I really prefer the new position. my hands are much less fatigued after long rides.

Enjoy your Klein,

jaime

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks you might be right about the bars. I must admit that I am new to the whole road bike thing and it's taken a bit to get the bike dialed in. I'll try moving the bars around and see what that does. I haven't had any problems with my hands going numb yet but I've only been on one longish ride.

On a side note, I really need to either clean up my work/picture area or find a less cluttered spot to take pictures. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
What year is your Quantum frame? I'm just starting to build up a '99 which was still built in Chehalis Washington. I'm going to have to go flat bars though as my arthritis can't handle drop bars.
kev0153 said:
Thanks you might be right about the bars. I must admit that I am new to the whole road bike thing and it's taken a bit to get the bike dialed in. I'll try moving the bars around and see what that does. I haven't had any problems with my hands going numb yet but I've only been on one longish ride.

On a side note, I really need to either clean up my work/picture area or find a less cluttered spot to take pictures. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
lebikerboy said:
What year is your Quantum frame? I'm just starting to build up a '99 which was still built in Chehalis Washington. I'm going to have to go flat bars though as my arthritis can't handle drop bars.
What about a tall stem with shallow drop bars? The resulting bar height would actually be very similar, but you'd have several hand positions available, which would certainly help with your arthritis....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've tried that. Also tried a Specialized Roubiax which has a longer headtube/highrise stem, no go. My hands ached for two days afterwards. Looks like a flat (actually low-riser) bar is my only option. I guess this will mean I will be riding what is now known in the industry as a "Performance Hybrid".
WhiskeyNovember said:
What about a tall stem with shallow drop bars? The resulting bar height would actually be very similar, but you'd have several hand positions available, which would certainly help with your arthritis....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Your Klein is done but is KLEIN DONE?

Very Very nice bike! I just love Kleins!

Is Klein out of business?
I know they are not realy but I just don't see them here in the Atlanta area. Has Trek taken over?

·
Registered
282 Posts
jgrantv10 said:
Very nice.

I've had mine (a '98) for many years and continue to really enjoy the ride. Now you've inspired me to give it a little update (new wheels, fork, and stem might be in order).

Just a thought: It may just be the camera angle, but your bars seem to be rotated very far forward giving your hoods a downward slope. I spent years with my hoods only slightly sloped forward, but my LBS tilted the bars back to render the hoods flat last summer. I was skeptical because i was so accustomed to the old position, but I really prefer the new position. my hands are much less fatigued after long rides.

Enjoy your Klein,

jaime
In fact, the LBS should have even rotated the levers slightly back toward you and you might like that even better. Check the way a lot of the pros are now riding their Campy shifters. I was trying to find a side view, but alas no joy. However, this shot of Floyd should give you an idea.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/feb06/california06/?id=california064/Tour_CA_stage4-02

·
Registered
10 Posts
Trek took over Klein in 1997. They left Gary and crew alone for a couple of years but once production was moved to Wisconsin, they were never the same.
Evan Evans said:
Very Very nice bike! I just love Kleins!

Is Klein out of business?
I know they are not realy but I just don't see them here in the Atlanta area. Has Trek taken over?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts