Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
considering a GOOD blank cassette tape is 5 or 6 bucks and a blank cd or dvd is 35 to 50 cents..... and a decent tape deck?......and mic's?

How is that cheaper for the "Budget minded" artist?

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
i'm holding out for reel-to-reel and the 8 track to make a comeback. then i'll join the hipster masses.

wait. i'm in my mid 30s. I'm not allowed to be a hipster, am i?

///i still have a NAD tape deck somewhere. the "fine bias" knob was the key for hiss reduction if i recall correctly.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
Finally, an opportunity for me to sell all my old Billy Joel tapes. I'll be friggin' rich.

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
I tried to sell my old tapes. And then offered them for free w/o any takers. Then I had to toss them away. I was cool and didn't even know it.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
CRAP, I just S*** canned boxes of tapes last summer! Damnit that was found money and I missed it!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
How is that cheaper for the "Budget minded" artist?
I think this quote from Taylor McVay of Quilt says it all, "..unlike CDs, tapes cannot be copied onto iTunes, so the tape itself remains a valuable object, rather than just existing as a transfer of data." With tapes, each fan has to buy their own tape. One person can't buy the song or album and rip copies for all their friends. Plus, you have to buy the tapes at the show so the band has money in hand. I know that I've got to quite a few shows, heard a new band (usually the opening act), said to myself "I need to get their album" and then I never did. With tapes only available at the show, it almost becomes an impulse buy.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Time to put the old Nakamichi on Craigslist I'd say.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
and a decent tape deck?
Pennies at the pwn3d shop. At least until Pawn Stars finds out they're cool this week.

I'm so tired of all of the signal-to-noise ratio and dynamic range crap we have with digital. I'm going back to good ol Dolby B-recorded cassettes. That's music.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
take it further

Does seem a little nuts, but then I have 4 fixed gear bikes, including steel, lugs, and 70's vintage Campy.

If they were being shrewd, they could dupe the tape into digital format, which would capture all the flaws, then sell that many times over. Or, simply write some programming that would modify any digital song file to sound like cassette tape, LP, or whatever, even with a bit of random flaws tossed in. Can be super hip, then.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
i gave up on tapes years ago - i get more music on a cd with better sound and it doesn't wear out after 100 listenings.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
That is getting stupid. I still have cassette decks in two of my cars (only one works) but that's only cause I'm too cheap to upgrade and I still have a ton of tapes, some dating back to junior high and high school. But I hate tapes!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
I have a cassette deck in my truck which is a good thing. It allows me to use an adapter to get my mp3 player input INTO the car stereo...without tearing my dash off to replace the stereo!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts