Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on my 2005 Giant OCR C3. I wanted to clean the running gear, so I took apart the rear derailleur pulleys, then started to take off the chain.

1- I didn't realize the gears were different, and I can't tell by looking which goes where. One has two brass washers inside the dust cap, next to the bushing. Also, Shimano's exploded view (long 105) show two different part numbers. Is there a way to identify which is which, and on which side of which do the two washers go?

2- How do you take the chain off? Is there a certain pin/link to look for, a special tool to remove a pin, or both?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
38Chevy said:
This is on my 2005 Giant OCR C3. I wanted to clean the running gear, so I took apart the rear derailleur pulleys, then started to take off the chain.

1- I didn't realize the gears were different, and I can't tell by looking which goes where. One has two brass washers inside the dust cap, next to the bushing. Also, Shimano's exploded view (long 105) show two different part numbers. Is there a way to identify which is which, and on which side of which do the two washers go?

2- How do you take the chain off? Is there a certain pin/link to look for, a special tool to remove a pin, or both?

Thanks,
Steve
The two jockey wheels are slightly different. I think one of them has Top or Upper on it. The top one should slide from side to side and the bottom one should be fixed. If you look edge on you'll see the top one is narrower to allow this.

Shimano chains can be broken with a regular chain tool, but MUST be rejoined using a new HG pin. These are specific to the speed of the chain. Your LBS should have stock. Otherwise replace the chain with a SRAM one (8 & 9 Speed) which has a special link which can be opened & closed over & over. This will only work if your original chain is not too worn.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
ultimobici is right. Just some added info: the top pulley may also have "Centeron G Pulley" or s.th. like that on it. No big deal if you get the pulleys reversed - shifting precision might suffer just a bit, that's all.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Pardon my dislexia

Thommy said:
As a mech you know the value of manuals. The internet is one of my favorite tools. Please see the following two sites for tons of info for both Shimano and Campagnolo:
Park tools and sheldon brown.
Dog is coming, Dog is coming.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
info nad munuals

As a mech you know the value of manuals. The internet is one of my favorite tools. Please see the following two sites for tons of info for both Shimano and Campagnolo:
Park tools and sheldon brown.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all!

Thanks for the information! I'll get a chain tool this weekend, and the pins...or maybe a new chain. I like the notion of being able to do regular cleaning and maintenance on it without it being too major a production. I'll keep a better eye out when I take stuff apart, too!

I'll bookmark the sites...the only one I knew with diagrams was Shimano's.

Thanks,
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts