Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 7:15am and it's really on as advertised. Cycling.tv is working like a champ. Is it working ok for everyone else? I'm going to be waking up early a lot for a while. I can do a lot of work while watching and I'll be yakking a lot on these boards. Broadcast time in the west coast is 6:50 am.

I'm surprised to see it's not Phil and Paul commentating. The cycling.tv boys are on. It's ok, these guys are good, specially the Scottish accent guy, Brian Smith. I'm even starting to understand him.

A couple observations:
- cycling.tv works better with IE. I couldn't go full screen with Firefox.
- to switch channels, you select the channel on the bottom, THEN hit the 'Switch' link.

francois

G

·
I fired it up this morning and was greeted with this

"We do not currently have broadcast rights in your country"

So much for the freaking internet and open transmission of information.

·
Shoebomber
174 Posts
Since you guys have the subscription, how is the archived footage of the Giro? Is it the full 2 hours, or just a 10 minute summary for each stage? I'm considering buying onto the Giro but won't be able to watch it during the morning. Hoping that I can just watch it in the archives when I get home from work.

From OLN: "Your online subscription will also include access to video archives of Monday-Saturday stages"

From Cycling.tv: "...on demand access to edited highlights of each stage."

Just trying to figure out if it's worth the 20 bucks if I can't watch it live. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Hah, ditto on Brian.

He's great, though. The main commentator guy, Anthony, talks a lot like Phil / Paul, though obv. not as practiced, but Brian offen offers up much more specific "rider's perspective" stuff.

It's funny to hear Anthony say "Well, now, Soandso just hopes he can hold off a bit longer" and Brian will say "No, he can't, he's done."

·
Registered
138 Posts
answer the question

Second the request of previous poster. I can't watch live but would pay the $20 for archives or watching when I get home at night. Anybody paying for OLN TV know if we can watch the footage whenever we want or only when live streaming?????

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
BigPiece said:
Second the request of previous poster. I can't watch live but would pay the $20 for archives or watching when I get home at night. Anybody paying for OLN TV know if we can watch the footage whenever we want or only when live streaming?????
All I can tell you is about Stage 1.

Live in the morning.

In the afternnoon, there was a 'feed' of the morning. All I saw was the very end.

Now (7pm) there is 44 minutes (2 x 22 minutes) highlites. It appears that they are showing the last 44 minutes. The started with Schumacher's ride. You can click on these and watch at any time.

TF

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
They are doing a full length rebroadcast (not archived) and a highlight (archived) for each stage later the same day. Stage 1 had the replay listed/scheduled for 3pm PST and the highlights scheduled to hit the archive area shortly thereafter. I didn't watch the replay so I can only presume it occured as scheduled.

·
Registered
138 Posts
thanks

thanks for the information -- for $20 bucks you really can't go wrong for almost 3 weeks, basically the cost of going to a shitty movie now-a-day. Anything special required on my computer to watch? I have a media player but am still old-school microsoft millenium edition.Have been shafted since I am not up-to-date enough to download things from iTunes for some reason.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Actually, it's not on....

It's 7am here in Cal and Velonews and Cyclingnews are showing about 60km to go, but I can't get anything but Tirreno-Adriatico.. where's the Giro coverage????

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
OLN's only day to broadcast on TV is Sunday. They don't want their internet live stream (via Cycling TV) to take viewers away from their TV broadcast. Therefore Cycling TV is available only Monday through Satruday.

You'll have to watch the OLN highlight show later today.

·
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Argentius said:
yeah, it's just like the reg'lar c-tv. You can only watch the FULL stage live, or you can watch about an 45-mint-to-an-hour per stage archived.
I just checked out the 45 minutes of highlights. It's very good. It's really at least an hour of tv coverage since there's zero commercials!

fc

·
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
B2 said:
OLN's only day to broadcast on TV is Sunday. They don't want their internet live stream (via Cycling TV) to take viewers away from their TV broadcast. Therefore Cycling TV is available only Monday through Satruday.

You'll have to watch the OLN highlight show later today.
OLN's just a pain in my side now. I already paid $20. Why do they have to block Sundays with their bs 2pm schedule? Who's at home at 2pm Sunday anyway?

At the very least, there should be highlights available for subscribers.

fc

G

·
Well, I have finally admitted defeat.

The Giro, as with most races on the Continent, for me, will be on Eurosport Radio.

Not the same as watching but better than nothing.

I used Audio Hijack to record it this morning so I can listen to it whenever I want, just convert to an MP3 feed.

what a pain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.