Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bike that has the daggone logo (Jamis) in 3 places on the frame, which is 2 too many IMHO. The logo is in white letters on a black background, and I think they're painted on under a clear coat. Would there be any problem with covering the logo with black electrical tape? Would the tape damage the paint? Anyone know of a better way to do this? Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think you should just leave it and live with it. Honestly, how much time do you spend looking at your bike while you are riding it anyhow? I have a tarmac expert and it has plenty of logos on it, my Trek frame does too. and my newest aquisition, a old Bianchi Trofeo has some too. you cant get away with it. unless you get a Emmezeta, those I believe are sold nude, but then again, who has heard of them?
Kevin

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
The mainstream has plenty of logos, the custom fab guys seem to be more conservative. Last night I removed the sticker bling from the wheels...looks 100% better. :wink:

Bikes are far from subtle these days. :(

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
You can cover it up. I cover up my commuter schwinn full of electrical tape by 3M and it comes off without any residue. Dont' buy the cheap stuff.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Don't do it. Wouldn't be prudent. Voids the warranty.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
tape would be cool! doesn't have to be black... think about it- colors, stripes, plaids, argyles... the possibilities are endless

btw, add ciocc to the list... my old sl (RIP) had something like 19 "ciocc" decals

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
You know what I'd do if I really couldn't stand the logos and they weren't eaasily removable... I'd go to a custom sign shop and have them make some custom stickers to put over the logos.They might be able to match the underlying paint, or could do it on clear or on a contrasting color. But you could maybe design something -either related to the original brand, or totally unrelated - that you'd like. Wouldn't cost much, especially if you provide the actual font, logos, etc. Many of the old school logos were pretty basic/rectangular sticker type things.

I had a local shop do stickers/decals for an outboard I restored, and they look great.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Y'know, that electrical tape is going to add some weight to your frame. Might increase wind drag too. I'm just saying...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
LOL, LOOK isn't shy when it comes to logos either
How about Felt. Their logo might not be as big as Look's, but for sheer numbers I don't think anyone can beat Felt. One of the guys I ride with just got a F85 for is his son last month. That thing must had over 20 logos on it. The Felt logo was everywhere, down tube, seat tube, seat stays, fork, handlebars, seat post, saddle. They even put "Felt"on the cable housings.

·
Scuzzo
93 Posts
if you own the bike, sure
hell its a bike tape will not look worse then that new fasion of plastering size 50 Font all over the hell over it,, go for the tape

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.