Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a Neuvation wheel missing 1 NDS spoke due to a broken flange. Otherwise in good condition. (A stronger rider than me popped it on a climb.)

If it is reasonably true, would it be dumb to use this as a trainer wheel for the winter? I don’t think there’s any reason why I shouldn’t give it a shot, but any additional input is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Sure..use it!! Let us know how it goes...NO, don't use it. The stress on all the other spokes has now changed.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Why not? It's not like you're gonna suffer a terrible crash if the wheel tacos on the trainer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
flanges should out last spokes, you should be able to wuarentee ,even if you are not the original owner.If it tacos the quarentee might be shot, or you can say it did it on the road and "lucky,i escaped serious injury"

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
A further failure could send a spoke whipping around, hitting your frame. That's about the worst that could happen. I like the finish on my bike too much to do that. You could a real cheap, used wheel on ebay to serve the same purpose. Check around a few shops and someone might be throwing away a wheel that would be fine.

-Eric

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I fail to understand all this concern about having a "trainer wheel" or special tires for a trainer. I use whatever wheel/tire is on my bike for trainer rides. Granted, I don't keep my carbon tubulars on the bike all the time so I don't use those but anything else has always been OK for me.

That said, I wouldn't use a wheel with a broken spoke flange any longer than it took me to ride it home, take it off my bike, and replace with another wheel. However, its your bike, your trainer, so do what you feel is best.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Shouldn't be any issue with using on a trainer, as the wheel is being supported at the axle.

I'm just surprised that the wheel is actually true minus one spoke on a 20-spoke wheel.

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
I'd email Neuvation. A guy I commute with had this same problem (broken flange) after about 3 years of ownership. He was able to send his wheel back in exchange for a returned wheel that was used but in better condition than his at no charge (with the exception of one way shipping). Nothing to loose and this would be a major win considering the wheel is probably out of warrantee.

To your question, yes, ride it on the trainer... why not. I wouldn't trust it on the road but everyone evaluates risk differently.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Oh..I guess I misread - I thought you were going to use it as a training wheel on the road in the winter. Not ON a trainer. Still, I just don't think it's a good idea, but not nearly as bad as idea as riding it on the road.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
How much do you use your trainer?

I do not too regularly, but when I do, after only a few hours, the rear tire becomes a melted mess.

I have a wheel with a worn brake surface, and a worn out cassette that the common gears I use skip on, and an old tire in the basement. Why use up perfectly good stuff?

cdhbrad said:
I fail to understand all this concern about having a "trainer wheel" or special tires for a trainer. I use whatever wheel/tire is on my bike for trainer rides. Granted, I don't keep my carbon tubulars on the bike all the time so I don't use those but anything else has always been OK for me.

That said, I wouldn't use a wheel with a broken spoke flange any longer than it took me to ride it home, take it off my bike, and replace with another wheel. However, its your bike, your trainer, so do what you feel is best.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
your weight is supported by the trainer so you shouldnt have any problems using this wheel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts