Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i currently ride a cross bike, and i got a professional fitting on it, so i know how to make this bike fit (shorter stem with short reach handlebars). given these measurements that i have, i can figure out actual reach to my handlebars (which i know is 59cm from tip of saddle to bars, i just have to see if they did it to center or left/right side of bars before im 100% sure, am calling in the morning).

Anyhow, I am in the market for a new bike, and am trying to use the 'stack and reach' method to size frames so that i know i can get the same fit from frame to frame.

My current bikes in question are:

Current Stack 621 Reach 408
Bike B 626 395.6
Bike C 656 393

Now, mind you, my current bike setup requirements after fitting were short reach bars, 8* rise stem. I know that i can set up bike C with a standard 120mm stem, standard bars stem flipped down with all spacers under and be at nearly the same point in space, because of the higher stack.

So, 408 reach with short reach bars and 90mm 8* up stem = 393 reach with 120mm 8* down stem standard bars.

My question is, now, i should be able to calculate Bike B fit more easily using a stem calculator, if given that i will run 40mm spacers on bike B as i have on bike A. The higher stack, shorter reach of Bike B compared to current bike should allow me to basically run a 0* stem 100mm, with short reach bars and be nearly at the same position in space correct? I figure this because the reach is 13mm shorter on bike B, with 5mm (negligable) higher stack, so if anything it should move me up a bit more, which is fine, because getting lower is easier.

Am i understanding this correct, or confusing myself. The reason i am doing so much calculating and thinking is because Bike B is mail order, bike C is specialized roubaix/secteur geometry.

It seems that these stack/reach's are close enough i should be able to adapt with stems/bars fairly well (or am i missing something?)

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
Comments

Current bike is too big if you are running a 90mm stem and short reach bars IMO.
Why are you looking to run 40mm of spacers and then a flipped stem (I am assuming you are meaning negative rise). This seems contra to each other.
How many spacers are you using on your current bike??

If I am right and your current bike is too big then you probably need to look for a bike with a 20 - 30mm shorter reach.
Would like to see a pic of your current setup.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The size problem was more in the reach being too long
I have a 38.5in inseam so I need a tall bike with a slightly shorter TT

my original bike is a 64 the others are all 61cms

1 - 4 of 4 Posts