Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody knows this, but just in case you don't take it seriously:
I grew up in California, lived in Texas for awhile and wound up in the high desert in Nevada. Always had the darkest tan on the beach (that used to be a good thing), rubbed on Coppertone back when it guaranteed the fastest tan, spent summers working shirtless in the sun on construction projects in college and for awhile afterward. Even when the dangers of sun exposure were recognized, I didn't really pay any attention. and still took some pride in my healthy outdoor look--typical stuff for a guy my age growing up where I did.
The good news: No cancers. The bad news: I've spent hours the last few weeks with a dermatologist freezing stuff off me, with some surgical prunage and biopsies yet to come. No serious worries ("It doesn't look like cancer, but let's check it anyway"), but it's a significant PITA and expense, preventable with sunscreen and long-sleeved shirts. So cover up.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
You too, eh? My dad was always the one to wear no hat and shirt all weekend on the boat, and has had a bunch of stuff removed. Now I've got two coming off in a couple weeks. And I've been good about it...

Wear the sun screen. I see Performance has a LS white jersey that's SPF 35 or something, for hot weather. Might try one. Also bought a do-rag for under the helmet.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
You will notice in all of our ride reports-when the sun is shining hard we are nearly always wearing long sleeve sun block jerseys.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I worry about skin cancer a lot. I am very fair skinned with freckles, blue eyes, light brown/blonde hair before I went gray. When I was a kid, there was no such thing as sunscreen, and I got some absolutely terrible burns every summer. I've probably peeled every inch of the skin on my body at some point or another, except for a few spots that are always covered. So far, I haven't had any suspicious spots on my skin, but I keep checking.

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
I worry about skin cancer a lot. I am very fair skinned with freckles, blue eyes, light brown/blonde hair before I went gray. When I was a kid, there was no such thing as sunscreen, and I got some absolutely terrible burns every summer. I've probably peeled every inch of the skin on my body at some point or another, except for a few spots that are always covered. So far, I haven't had any suspicious spots on my skin, but I keep checking.
Same here (Pale Irish). My wife and her mom have put the fear of the big C in me.

This morning at 9, I was coaching the boy child's soccer game. Got home, took my watch off, and noticed I had tan lines. It's been raining for the past week, and before that, I was in long sleeves. WTF? I used to have to work for color.

I've got some odd shaped freckles that keep catching my eye, so I made an app with a derma Dr. The earliest I could get in is August 2. Right when my tan will be prime.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
tarwheel2 said:

Me too. Growing up in the 70's I can't tell you how many blistering sunburns I had as a kid.

I have a fair amount of Native American in me, plus some other darker skin toned ethnicities but it's the Irish/Scottish/Swedish skin tone I gots. :(

·
Middle of nowhere rider..
14 Posts
Sunscreen....

And yet if you read the health news, much of it is linked to possible cancer due to the lubricants they use...sigh.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
secksiest swing post of the year

Cory said:
Everybody knows this, but just in case you don't take it seriously:
I grew up in California, lived in Texas for awhile and wound up in the high desert in Nevada. Always had the darkest tan on the beach (that used to be a good thing), rubbed on Coppertone back when it guaranteed the fastest tan, spent summers working shirtless in the sun on construction projects in college and for awhile afterward. Even when the dangers of sun exposure were recognized, I didn't really pay any attention. and still took some pride in my healthy outdoor look--typical stuff for a guy my age growing up where I did.
rowr you tanned beast you

Cory said:
I've spent hours the last few weeks with a dermatologist freezing stuff off me, with some surgical prunage and biopsies yet to come. preventable with sunscreen and long-sleeved shirts. So cover up.
um, sorry, i'm too busy for dinner and dancing

//glad the checks came out okay. NOW PUT ON A SHIRT!!!!

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
One of the crazy reasons I wear arm warmers even in this crazy heat/humidity. Hey, I already sometimes suffer like hell in the heat here, a little extra arm warmers ain't gonna be too bad vs. the protection from skin issues.

I'm even contemplating bringing my spray on sunscreen with me on rides longer than 2 hours now.

Also started using sunscreen when I go out normally even.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
murbike- as a kid, we went to the beach one cloudy Sunday, and figured the cloud cover offered some protection- nope. Spent Monday lying around with wet washcloths on ourselves. The watch tan line may have happened gradually, though.

I'm Irish/Austrian so there's no option besides 1) long sleeves 2) sunscreen 3) total avoidance of sun between 10am-3pm (like what I'm doing now :wink5: )

·
Hermia commutes
1,496 Posts
My very british-skinned grandfather grew up in Hawaii. In the 20s and 30s he hung with the surfboys. He had basal or squamous or whatever cells removed from his face on a regular basis in the last 20 years of his life. He died in November of cancer. (He was 84, so it isn't as if it struck him in his prime, but it was related to the original angry skin cells...)

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
I've probably peeled every inch of the skin on my body at some point or another, except for a few spots that are always covered.
I got sunburn on the back of my throat,
and sand behind my eyes.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
I was a lifeguard for 4 years. Needless to say I was very very very tanned/burned.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I also had some bad burns as a kid; ironically I noticed a spot on my leg when I was out in the sun mountain biking; I thought it was an insect bite; luckily I had just started making regular visits to the dermatologist; I had him remove it when the "bite" did not go away and it wound up being the bad form of skin cancer; luckily caught very early; I was only 28 at the time. So...even if you are young, take unusual looking moles or other skin lesions very seriously.

Anybody have recommendations for a good sun screen jersey and where to get one? I will check out the one already mentioned sold by Performance.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
MoonHowl said:
Anybody have recommendations for a good sun screen jersey and where to get one? I will check out the one already mentioned sold by Performance.
Bullfrog gel 36spf works great for me - just be sure to get a whiff of it first. That smell goes away in a few seconds but you don't want it close to your eyes. Walgreens usually has it. +1 on asking about other jerseys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts