Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im new to road bikeing but not new to biking, i mountain bike quite a bit and i have never heard this term before. but i keep comming across it in all my road bike searchs. so what does VELO mean? is it in refering to a person, or a term? or what?
thanks

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Velo is also a Latin root for speed, rapid, or swift and early bikes were called Velocipedes. (Speed-Foot) and the earliest bikes did not have pedals you scooted your feet on the ground to build speed. Velodrome is a combo of the Latin Velo and Drome which is from the Greek word dromos which means "running course" . Yeah I know, hey thanks Cliffy.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Howzitbroke said:
Velo is also a Latin root for speed, rapid, or swift and early bikes were called Velocipedes. (Speed-Foot) and the earliest bikes did not have pedals you scooted your feet on the ground to build speed.
Hey, I've been riding since the early 60's, and I still do that. Is there some kind of better way? :p

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wow.

Howzitbroke said:
Velo is also a Latin root for speed, rapid, or swift and early bikes were called Velocipedes. (Speed-Foot) and the earliest bikes did not have pedals you scooted your feet on the ground to build speed. Velodrome is a combo of the Latin Velo and Drome which is from the Greek word dromos which means "running course" .
Gee Mr. Clavin, you sure are smart!

·
Registered
391 Posts
zom·bie (ˈzämbē) noun

1. a corpse said to be revived by witchcraft, especially in certain African and Caribbean religions.
-informal a person who is or appears lifeless, apathetic, or completely unresponsive to their surroundings.
-a computer controlled by another person without the owner’s knowledge and used for sending spam or other illegal or illicit activities.

2. a cocktail consisting of several kinds of rum, liqueur, and fruit juice.

I'll take "two" please

·
Registered
386 Posts
Why would anybody revive a thread from 6 years ago?

More importantly, why would anybody be looking at threads from 6 years ago?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.