Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...

While all the cool kids were out in San Diego, I was at home. During this weekend, I ended up painting my son's bedroom, twice. Funny thing, and perhaps its just me, but am I the only one who tries to clean the paint rollers? Is there some trick to getting those suckers rinsed out, or does everyone else in the free world just throw these suckers away?

After painting my last house from top to bottom, I found no technique to cleaning them, so at the last house... I just threw them away, especially those with the cardboard tube innards. However, in the new house I figured quality was the answer, so I got some roller pads with the rubberized/plastic innards and was supposed to be reusable. However, I rinse them until perfectly clear water runs from them, walk away, and 10 minutes later, there is paint pooling at the bottom. Rinse again... wake up this morning... more paint. What the hell? Im quickly thinking there is some punchline that Im just not getting, but there HAS to be a better way. Or, I suppose I could revert back to the cheap roller and pitch technique, but if I could glean some expert advice from you knuckleheads, I would surely appreciate it.

Oh, I also put a tiny screwdriver THROUGH my finger this weekend while trying to put together a toy for my son. That is very exciting, but did not bleed nearly as much as I thought.
 

·
Back from the dead
Joined
·
20,626 Posts
Get a spinner. Shur-Line makes one that works for brushes and rollers that is fairly cheap. Put the brush or roller on, then, unless you want to be covered with paint, hold it inside a bucket or trash can, and pump it. It works great on brushes.

I'll clean rollers once, but that's it. Usually not. The nap starts coming off if you work them too much.
 

·
Non non normal
Joined
·
10,092 Posts
I used to soak them in a sink. I did that after I tried to rinse them under a stream of water. I would wring them out by gripping them and pushing down the tube with the stream of water.

Now I buy the cheap ones and figure that the two bucks isn't worth my time to clean the roller.
 

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whew...

ok I guess its just taken years to come to the conclusion that you guys have. So now I feel like an idiot for paying for "Contractor Grade" rollers. Oh well, and I use the plastic back trick too !!!

Ok, off to the landfills!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,627 Posts
Gee, Funk, I was painting too.

I have just cleaned rolls by running them under water for looong time, but it ain't worth it, it ain't worth it at all.

If you are going to be using the roller again, instead of cleaning it, but wrap it in a plastic bag, nice and tight and the paint will stay wet for a couple of days.

Otherwise, I agree with the others, it just aint worth it.
 

·
Non non normal
Joined
·
10,092 Posts
funknuggets said:
ok I guess its just taken years to come to the conclusion that you guys have. So now I feel like an idiot for paying for "Contractor Grade" rollers. Oh well, and I use the plastic back trick too !!!

Ok, off to the landfills!!!

For the record,

Are you painting because you wanted to or because your wife made you? I only paint for the latter reason.
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
I painted my way through my first year of college and worked in a paint store. The only benefit to using the more expensive rollers is they tend to hold together longer and not leave little "hairs" on the walls. Lousylegs hit it dead on. Put the rollers in a bag, use a rubber band or something to wrap it around the handle, and then put it in the fridge. When you are ready to paint take it out a 1/2 hour a head of time to let it warm up and start using it again. Of course won't work if you're doing multiple colors.
 

·
Squirrel Hunter
Joined
·
3,806 Posts
Vegetable Drawer

Ridgetop said:
...Put the rollers in a bag, use a rubber band or something to wrap it around the handle, and then put it in the fridge. When you are ready to paint take it out a 1/2 hour a head of time to let it warm up and start using it again. Of course won't work if you're doing multiple colors.
Refridgerator trick works great.
 

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the record...

bigrider said:
For the record,

Are you painting because you wanted to or because your wife made you? I only paint for the latter reason.
It seems that any time that we have a large number of family members over to our house, a large project will need to entirely encompass the previous weekend. It seems it is an effective defense to the minutae of cleaning, straightening and otherwise lame surface stuff necessary to appease the mothers. So, in lieu of doing the stuff we HAVE to do, we will do things like gut the kitchen or remodel a room, bathroom and spend all of our time doing that... and then scurry like mad the night before the gathering doing the stuff we probably should have the week before. So, I would say that the second is more in line with my answer, with the caveat that if we didnt have these gatherings 2-3 times a year, the projects would never get done....

So all in all its a GOOD thing.

I still got my ride in. Its nice to feel like you got things accomplished on the weekends.
 

·
Resident Dutchbag
Joined
·
11,864 Posts
Next time I'm doing some painting I'll just chuck em in the washingmachine, I don't wash and rinse my clothes by hand and since the rollers are some sort of fibrous thingy stuff as well, it just might work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,627 Posts
rogger said:
Next time I'm doing some painting I'll just chuck em in the washingmachine, I don't wash and rinse my clothes by hand and since the rollers are some sort of fibrous thingy stuff as well, it just might work.
Post a Pic, that could get ugly.

And remember to leave the top open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,627 Posts
funknuggets said:
It seems that any time that we have a large number of family members over to our house, a large project will need to entirely encompass the previous weekend. It seems it is an effective defense to the minutae of cleaning, straightening and otherwise lame surface stuff necessary to appease the mothers. So, in lieu of doing the stuff we HAVE to do, we will do things like gut the kitchen or remodel a room, bathroom and spend all of our time doing that... and then scurry like mad the night before the gathering doing the stuff we probably should have the week before. So, I would say that the second is more in line with my answer, with the caveat that if we didnt have these gatherings 2-3 times a year, the projects would never get done....

So all in all its a GOOD thing.

I still got my ride in. Its nice to feel like you got things accomplished on the weekends.
Yes, until your wife asks you why you did such a [email protected] job, or at least mine does.
 

·
Resident Dutchbag
Joined
·
11,864 Posts
We skinny euro sissies only use frontloaders, so no luck there partner. ;)
 

·
Government Mule
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
Since retiring my wife has mentioned painting several times. I figure I've got the rest of my life to get it done, so I don't see any reason to rush into it; unless of course she threatens to hire professionals who will cost me a bundle.
 

·
Call me a Fred
Joined
·
16,999 Posts
bigrider said:
I used to soak them in a sink. I did that after I tried to rinse them under a stream of water. I would wring them out by gripping them and pushing down the tube with the stream of water.

Now I buy the cheap ones and figure that the two bucks isn't worth my time to clean the roller.
I cleaned rollers that way for years, then one day the light came on and I started tossing them. They can be cleaned, but they just aren't worth the effort to save a few bucks.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top