Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lizzie will ride free
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a SWAG in January, and I know I owe money, so I've been blowing it off. Now I just feel like getting it off the to-do list. Posting this stupid question is just my vain attempt to avoid it a little longer. So, excuse now me while I fill in TurboTax.

Who's saving it for the last minute?
 

·
For president!
Joined
·
7,802 Posts
jplatzner said:
I did a SWAG in January, and I know I owe money, so I've been blowing it off. Now I just feel like getting it off the to-do list. Posting this stupid question is just my vain attempt to avoid it a little longer. So, excuse now me while I fill in TurboTax.

Who's saving it for the last minute?
I do lots of organization's taxes, but haven't gotten around to my own. I'll likely pay someone a few bucks to do em.

It's true what they say, the cobblers kids have no shoes.

Silas
 

·
A Canadian in Sweden
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
Just got my tax declaration last week, to be handed in by May 2. Nice that they give you so much time here.
Cheers, Wayne
 

·
Lizzie will ride free
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wayneanneli said:
Just got my tax declaration last week, to be handed in by May 2. Nice that they give you so much time here.
Cheers, Wayne
Hey Wayne,
Not trying to get this moved to PO or anything, but are taxes way less convoluted there? You pay a very high percentage, no?
 

·
A Canadian in Sweden
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
jplatzner said:
Hey Wayne,
Not trying to get this moved to PO or anything, but are taxes way less convoluted there? You pay a very high percentage, no?
Do you do both a state and federal tax declaration or just federal? Here, we do just one declaration, and it's really simple with nothing to fill in. Essentially, the tax office gets notified of all your financial related information directly and automatically from your:
employer (salary and deductions,
bank (if you own a home with a mortgage or have investments, for example),
social insurance (if I've been on parental leave or sick leave throughout the year),
municipality (if you own a home and pay property taxes)
etc, etc.
The govt receives this information automatically, and we receive paper confirmations of what has been sent to the govt. All we have to do is verify the amounts, sign the declaration and send it in, without having anything to calculate. It's that easy.
We do pay high taxes, but we get a lot in return, such as free uni education for those accepted, free medical up until 18 years, highly subsidised daycare, etc.
Cheers, Wayne
 

·
Lizzie will ride free
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Wayne,

Boy, that sounds easy. I'll take some of that subsidised daycare if you have any extra; perhaps you can send some FedEx?

I only do a Federal return because Washington State does not have an income tax. Most states do have income tax.

The good news is I'm finished. :)
 

·
A Canadian in Sweden
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
jplatzner said:
Hey Wayne,

Boy, that sounds easy. I'll take some of that subsidised daycare if you have any extra; perhaps you can send some FedEx?

I only do a Federal return because Washington State does not have an income tax. Most states do have income tax.

The good news is I'm finished. :)
Together, both parents get 480 days of daycare to share, up until the child is max 7 years old. So, if you work half days (say 4 hour/day), then you can stretch it out to 960 days, not including weekends and holidays of course. We have saved up a heap of days and will probably use them when going on holidays with the children. If planned properly, this system allows parents to really enjoy the benefits of parental leave without feeling like they're not spending quality time with their children. It's great. What's parental leave like in WA? How many days you get? Can you work 50% or 25% and stretch out the days?
Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
I wonder what the percentages are of people who owe money and have not filed and of people who got money back and have already filed?

My tax forms from my employer were available online on January 26th. I filed that very day!!

Got a couple nice deposits 3 and 10 days later. Whee!
 

·
Non non normal
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
I don't know if I owe them or they owe me, I just know that I haven't done them yet.
 

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
Done 'em. Got it. Spent it.

Can't wait to do it all over again next year... (okay that may be a bit much)
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
jplatzner said:
I did a SWAG in January, and I know I owe money, so I've been blowing it off. Now I just feel like getting it off the to-do list. Posting this stupid question is just my vain attempt to avoid it a little longer. So, excuse now me while I fill in TurboTax.

Who's saving it for the last minute?
My 2c--unless you like doing taxes or are a CPA I think you're nuts to do your own. For about $150 I save that headache and with the bigger refund I get it pays for itself.
//mostly spent already...vacation, redo stairs, painting, kids camps this summer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Me!!

jplatzner said:
I did a SWAG in January, and I know I owe money, so I've been blowing it off. Now I just feel like getting it off the to-do list. Posting this stupid question is just my vain attempt to avoid it a little longer. So, excuse now me while I fill in TurboTax.

Who's saving it for the last minute?
I earned Per-diem last year, so I'm really confused about how to file my taxes. I can't find any rules about this. I know I got a W2 for a lot less than my actual take home earnings, but I'm not sure what I can/can't deduct. I'm moving next week, so I guess I'll do them on good Friday.

Kristin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,097 Posts
I am doing some people's taxes right now, and I do them for a living. It's crunch time for me, and it's throwing my cycling schedule into the pooper.

I agree with the above-poster that stated unless you like doing taxes, are a CPA, or otherwise, Pay someone. It really isn't worth the time and frustration and possible errors.

Bear in mind, as mindless as the tax software programs are, they still report what YOU put in the blank screens. the possibility of error is still there, and they aren't going to cover you if you fat-finger a number.

Here where I work, I do the return. My partner reviews it. It gets eye-balled by a processor then. Lots of eyes all checking each other's work.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Kristin said:
I earned Per-diem last year, so I'm really confused about how to file my taxes. I can't find any rules about this. I know I got a W2 for a lot less than my actual take home earnings, but I'm not sure what I can/can't deduct. I'm moving next week, so I guess I'll do them on good Friday.

Kristin
pay someone to do them. you won't regret it.

//don't you have that bum real estate deal? maybe you can write off some of that depreciation? who knows....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Last minute all the way baby...TaxCut software is plenty good if you know how to use it.
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,416 Posts
Since I haven't signed the forms yet, I guess I haven't "done" mine yet.

I'm pretty sure the accountant sent some papers to my wife, and I gave her all my paperwork (tax forms from work, bank, etc., and an accounting of charitable contributions) a month or so ago, so I'm sure I'll see the forms soon.

It's really great with my wife running her own business--her situation is complicated enough to need an accountant, and since we're "married, filing jointly," I'm just along for the ride. Haven't done anything more than hand over the papers and sign in years.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Since I haven't signed the forms yet, I guess I haven't "done" mine yet.

I'm pretty sure the accountant sent some papers to my wife, and I gave her all my paperwork (tax forms from work, bank, etc., and an accounting of charitable contributions) a month or so ago, so I'm sure I'll see the forms soon.

It's really great with my wife running her own business--her situation is complicated enough to need an accountant, and since we're "married, filing jointly," I'm just along for the ride. Haven't done anything more than hand over the papers and sign in years.
same situation...wife is self-employed. My taxes are actually really easy. Hers are another matter--and the laws change yearly as to what you can and can't deduct. Without a CPA I'd have no clue and probably end up owing. With the CPA I've gotten a decent refund for years now.
 

·
Have a nice day
Joined
·
5,893 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
My 2c--unless you like doing taxes or are a CPA I think you're nuts to do your own. For about $150 I save that headache and with the bigger refund I get it pays for itself.
I have to disagree. That's H&R Block's marketing talking. For most (probably 80-90%) Americans your income taxes just aren't that complicated. The 1040 instructions are written in plain English. Heck, I think they're available en Espanol too if you need them. If you can read at a 6th grade level and perform basic arithmetic, you can do your own taxes. Most of the "loopholes," changes and special exceptions that H&R's advertising tries to spook you with probably don't apply to you anyway, and if they do the 1040 instructions will tell you so.

My taxes have above average complexity because I am self employed, but even so it just isn't that hard IMO. The hardest part of the job is doing the bookkeeping for my business expenses, and I'd have to do that one way or the other anyway.

Granted, I can't speak strongly to all of the investment aspects of the 1040. We only have a 401k and bonds. But the rest of it is pretty straightforward IMO. If you don't feel comfortable with it, then by all means pay an "expert" to fill out your tax forms for you. But I think too many people give in to the hype.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
undies said:
I have to disagree. That's H&R Block's marketing talking. For most (probably 80-90%) Americans your income taxes just aren't that complicated. The 1040 instructions are written in plain English. Heck, I think they're available en Espanol too if you need them. If you can read at a 6th grade level and perform basic arithmetic, you can do your own taxes. Most of the "loopholes," changes and special exceptions that H&R's advertising tries to spook you with probably don't apply to you anyway, and if they do the 1040 instructions will tell you so.

My taxes have above average complexity because I am self employed, but even so it just isn't that hard IMO. The hardest part of the job is doing the bookkeeping for my business expenses, and I'd have to do that one way or the other anyway.

Granted, I can't speak strongly to all of the investment aspects of the 1040. We only have a 401k and bonds. But the rest of it is pretty straightforward IMO. If you don't feel comfortable with it, then by all means pay an "expert" to fill out your tax forms for you. But I think too many people give in to the hype.
Hey...you seem to have the temperment to do your own. As I said in another post my wife is self employed and her taxes are not all that standard. I'd rather pay $150 to have a CPA do it than waste a Sunday afternoon when I could be riding and getting a bad headache reading all the legalese about who can take what deduction. Whenever I did my own taxes I'd inevitably get a crappy refund or end up owing--never had that problem since I go them done. Maybe just a coincidence, but I think not.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top