Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Banned
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wear size 50 (US 15), and less-than-Sidi bike shoes are really hard to find, plus usually too small when they arrive.. I ordered a pair of Diadora Cosmos from Nashbar--cheap road shoes, supposedly about $140, on sale for $69.99. They showed up this afternoon, and I've only ridden five or six miles, but the suckers FIT. They're nothing special as footwear, but I can overlook that.because MY LITTLE TOES DON'T HURT.
Check 'em out: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=16602&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

· Banned
2,843 Posts
I have big feet, and my advice is to suck it up and get the sidis, nothing else will fit, you'll just waste money trying.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I wear size 48-50, but need a wide width. The Shimano 151's wides are my faves, but unfortunately, they aren't quite wide enough. I have a pair of Sidi Genius Megas. They fit all right and are comfy, but the Shimanos are much better built, and have stiffer & lighter soles. The Sidis have that stupid a$$ buckle thing that's as useful as a screendoor on a submarine. They also weigh a ton compared to the Shimanos.

· Banned
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure the Sidis are great, but the truth is...

FTF said:
I have big feet, and my advice is to suck it up and get the sidis, nothing else will fit, you'll just waste money trying.

I'm just as happy in my old (pre-clipless) shoes with platforms and toe clips--I don't go any slower than with clipless pedals, and I can walk when I get off the bike. Only reason I was shopping is that my last touring shoes are about to break in half. I bought four pairs for $20 apiece 12 or 15 years ago, when everybody was going clipless, and the last ones are about to give up.
I've tried different clipless systems on my road and mountain bikes (early SPDs, Ritcheys and Looks), and for me, the PIA factor doesn't outweigh the advantages. But if I have to change over, I'm happy with the Diadoras--I did about 30 miles in them this afternoon, and they feel good.

· Banned
2,843 Posts
Cory said:
I'm just as happy in my old (pre-clipless) shoes with platforms and toe clips--I don't go any slower than with clipless pedals, and I can walk when I get off the bike. Only reason I was shopping is that my last touring shoes are about to break in half. I bought four pairs for $20 apiece 12 or 15 years ago, when everybody was going clipless, and the last ones are about to give up.
I've tried different clipless systems on my road and mountain bikes (early SPDs, Ritcheys and Looks), and for me, the PIA factor doesn't outweigh the advantages. But if I have to change over, I'm happy with the Diadoras--I did about 30 miles in them this afternoon, and they feel good.

Oh, wait, I thought you said that the shoes hurt your foot? Oh you said don't hurt, I'm a moron. Nothing to see here, move along move along.

I wear a 51, so I dono if they would fit. I'm not that stuck on Sidi, they are just all I've ever been able to get that fits.

· Apa kabar?
269 Posts
specialized carbon's?

i wear a 48, currently looking to buy my first pair of road shoes (have mtb shoes currently). i was thinking about the specialized carbon's, any complaints with these. my specialized mtb shoes fit great in a 48.

· Banned
6,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I said the Diadoras feel GREAT...I don't NEED Sidis.

Oh, sorry--was I shouting?
No, seriously--I only posted that because people occasionally ask where to get big shoes, and not everybody wants to spend $225 for them.
People have been telling me "You'll never be happy with anything but Sidis" for 15 years. I know they're good, I've tried them on and several friends wear them, and if I needed them, I'd buy some. But I'm a 61-year-old guy pooting around at 14mph, commuting and day-tripping and doing an occasional century toward the end of summer. I was happy with my $20, 1990-vintage Specialized touring shoes, and I think I'm going to be happy with my $70 Diadoras, except that I still think clipless pedals are a silly fad, like U brakes and Biopace....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.