Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if no one remembers I have a mid 80's Raleigh with a dubious past. It has a non-standard serial number (8710613) that doesn't fit any of the Raleigh records. I have actually found another owner on another board with a similar frame with serial number 8710916. Most records of Raleighs in terms of catalogs and the like die out in around 1984, leaving those Raleigh USA bikes built in the mid 80's as kind of a mystery. I've asked Sheldon Brown and Harry H. and they both stated that the frame appeared to be an import given the seatpost size 26.8, fork crown (sloping) and the non-Raleigh serial number, but that the tubing, hand cut decals, and Campy 1010b dropouts made no sense.

However, I've found that most of the Raleigh USA's from that period had sloping crowns and then this similar frame came up. So the question came up again of exactly what these frames were. They're not terribly common or I feel like I would have found more than one owner, but becuase of the Huffy/Raleigh USA relationship it seems as if nobody cares about the mid 80's Raleigh USA's. There is a glimmer of hope though. It appears that there were a few elusive high-end Raleigh USA's built for US teams in the mid 80's. There is a rumor that come of the frames were built by Panasonic from Tange 1 and there is a confirmed rumor that Marinoni built frames from 1983-1985(6) for Raleigh from Raleigh lugs, Campy bits and Colmbus SL tubing (which was re-labeled as Reynolds 531). However, I am at a loss to find out much more about these frames.

If anyone has one of these mid 80's Raleigh USA frames or has any info on Marinoni or Panasonic producing these frames let me know. I've posted on CR and Team Raleigh Pros, as it's been a recent topic of interest on CR, but i figured I'd drop a line here as well. It would be great to find out some info on this time in the history of Raleigh USA that was previously though to be a kind of "Dark Ages".

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
toomanybikes said:
Have you emailed Marinoni??

He may be able to help you out with history.
I sent an e-mail to the shop, but I haven't heard anything back yet. If anyone has a direct e-mail for Marinoni I'd appreciate it.

G

·
daneil said:
I sent an e-mail to the shop, but I haven't heard anything back yet. If anyone has a direct e-mail for Marinoni I'd appreciate it.

Send an email to attention of Simonne at [email protected]

With explanation of why you think it may be a Marinoni, as many pictures as you can and the serial number.

Good Luck,

TMB

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
toomanybikes said:
Send an email to attention of Simonne at [email protected]

With explanation of why you think it may be a Marinoni, as many pictures as you can and the serial number.

Good Luck,

TMB

Thanks TMB. Appreciate the help. This thing has been puzzling people for way too long, hopefully I can finally get some kind of closure on exactly where this frame came from. It's turning out to be the missing link in the history of Raleigh Cycles.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
have you tried posting on the serotta forum? there tends to be a large retro crowd over there. how are things going with bvf? season starts in a month!

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
team_sheepshead said:
have you tried posting on the serotta forum? there tends to be a large retro crowd over there. how are things going with bvf? season starts in a month!
Haven't tried the Serotta forum, but I have some e-mails out to Marinoni and Panasonic (another contract builder for Raleigh USA in the 80's). Hopefully I can get this figured out soon. I have to remove the fork tonight and check for a Columbus stamping in the HT as a possible way of ID'ing it as a Marinoni. Oh well.

BVF's going well, just had a meeting this week actually and we seem to have picked up a bunch of really strong guys over the winter. Unfortunately I was in PT for most of the winter and have yet to get back to really training, and with finishing my MA this June I'll probably be looking at a shorter season than I'd like. Definately won't be able to do FBF as much as I'd like, but I'll definately get in some PP races and a couple of out-of-town races too.

Hows Setanta doing? You guys ready for the new season?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Is it from UK?

I remember a Raleigh USA catalogue from late 80's or early 90's that mentioned 531 frames in paint like yours coming from England -perhaps Nottingham or Ikeston?

TakmanJapan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts