Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tactics were sucking in the first half of the tour

how would you like your crow?Grilled or Boiled?

Overall
U-23 Overall
Team

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
U-25 actually. But who's keeping score anyway right? :D

I liked CSC anyway. So... Can I have some pizza instead?

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
I honestly thought Sastre would be able to hold it because he would have the benefit of time checks as well as the magic of the maillot jaune. (Not just coz I hate crow stew)

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
go back a week or so

look at the CSC bash posts
guess those folks need more TdF Tactics school
I thought Sastre would defend okay, he outdid my expectations
am glad because I like Jens and Fabian and they sacrificed they own ambitions
for this and I'm glad it paid.

Cadel needs a stronger team

VdV will move up to a full contender, 1 bad day kept him off the podium
Congrats to Vaughters and Garmin Chipotle

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
atpjunkie said:

Wanna have some tacos together?

VdV - He was effin unlucky that damn day. Sorta like Valverde too a little.

VdV was really someone who impressed me this Tour. I don't think he can win it though and next year might just be even harder.

But they won't allow him to do anything from the main contenders group from now on for sure. If only he can attack the likes of Sastre etc but Contador would definitely be able to follow him.

· Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
atpjunkie said:

This is the result of having 8 teamates willing to throw themselves off a cliff for you.
If Cadel Evans had even 1/2 of team CSC-Saxo Bank around him the tour would've been over days ago.
Congratulations to the Saxo-Bankers for yellow and white jerseys and the best team overall.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I should actually have a portion too, but more because of my predictions regarding Garmin at the beginning of the tour.

I believe I said VdV would be their highest placed rider, and I got that right, but that's it.

Here's how many ways I was wrong:
I said VdV would be around 18th.
I said Danny Pate would abandon
I said Will Frishkorn would abandon

I think that covers it. My bad. Glad to see those guys persevered. I'm still not going to get on the VdV bandwagon though :D

· Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
I was happy that CSC was one of the only teams in this Tour to display anything that even resembled tactics and teamwork. My only beef was with Sastre on the Hautacam where I felt that he had a chance to deliver a big blow to his rivals by attacking them and dropping them and didn't do it. Aside from that, CSC's team tactics were fine in my book, so give me a real tender piece of crow. Thankfully for the team, it looks like it's all going to work out in the end which is great because all of the CSC-SaxoBank riders seem to genuinely buy into the team concept.

· Where's that GPS?
3,313 Posts
I'll have the Filet Mignon, thanks.

Love the tactics, love the team spirit, love the fact that Bjarne Riis has put together such a dominating group of riders and managed to get them to keep their egos in check...the results speak for themselves.

Now the question is, can they repeat, threepeat...? I'll be glued to the screen next year as well.

Skaal, CSC/SaxoBank!

Pass the béarnaise, please.

· likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
LostViking said:
Now the question is, can they repeat, threepeat...?
No, not if Astana has anything to say about it anyway.
Otherwise 2008 will be known as 'Contador dynasty interupted'.
He would have marked Sastre on the Alpe and put time on him on the ITT.
2008 La Vuelta = Contador by 5 minutes.
2009 TdF = Contador by 5 minutes

JMHO

· Registered
460 Posts
Honestly it seems that CSC-Saxo was the only team that came in taking the tour seriously. I know it's just a perception, but look at how the other "GC" teams performed.

Evans Lotto group couldn't/wouldn't even give him support in the smaller mountains. Plus, how many times during the finally of a flat stage did we see Evans all alone with no protection around him. Like Evans or hate him he raced the tour on his own this year. Could have been self induced.

Columbia knew they didn't have a real GC guy so they relied on sprinting and early yellow hunting by Kirchen. Kirchen rode a great tour, but there was no way that Columbia could've supported him during the Alps. Granted they had a great tour, but if Cav drops those sprints, what are they left with?

Rabobank comes in with Menchov and who else? Ten Dam? Where's Dekker? Where's Gesink? If you'recoming to the TDF and you think you have a true contender, bring a freaking supporting cast!!:mad2:

Caisse d' Epargne I may give a pass to. They came in with a great team and had some good early results, but their GC guy let them down a little. How a Spanish guy can't climb in the Pyrenees is beyond me. Plus when their heart and soul (IMO) goes airborne over a guard rail and gets jacked up, it kinda took the wind out of team. Luckily Valverde recovered a bit in the Alps, even though he bombed the last ITT.

Lampre thought that the Little Prince could step up like he did a few years ago. Sadly they were mistaken. The team in general under performed.

Barloworld and Quick Step though they had GC contenders and neither one finished

Gerolsteiner was a surprise to me, but not without suspicion. If Kohl and Schumi did it clean hats off to them, they rode a hell of a race. But when the rest of the peloton is raising their eyebrows at you????

· Registered
673 Posts
I think that Contador will have his hands full with the CSC tripod, with andy and sastre switching roles. I just don't think Contador is the unstoppable force everyone thinks he is. He won the tour by under 1 min only with the help of a teammate who was capable of winning it himself. And in the Giro he did get out climbed by Ricco on just about every peak (however that may be invalid due to the likelyhood of Ricco being bloated on EPO, and just the fact that he is a deushbag). But I had to make a 12 month prior prediction I would have to go with Andy.

· Registered
166 Posts
I never felt that CSC's tactics were bad, I just felt that going in, they were so stacked and overrated in relation to their GT results. They had everything to prove. To their credit, they were brilliant and came through in big spot. Big win for them.

· Registered
896 Posts
how can this be a CSC thread and no one is talking about the Shlecks. Andy is going to be great. his climb up ADH was a joke. he rode circles around everyone on the mtn. there is no doubt in my mind that if it had not been for team tactics, Andy could have won that stage. yes he needs alot of work on TT, but I think he has a big career ahead, especially if CSC can reconcile who will be protected in the grand tours

· Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
bauerb said:
how can this be a CSC thread and no one is talking about the Shlecks. Andy is going to be great. his climb up ADH was a joke. he rode circles around everyone on the mtn. there is no doubt in my mind that if it had not been for team tactics, Andy could have won that stage. yes he needs alot of work on TT, but I think he has a big career ahead, especially if CSC can reconcile who will be protected in the grand tours
Saxo-Bank doesn't have to reconcile anything, that's not their philosophy. As long as a team member wins they're all happy.
This year during E3 Prijs, Cancellara sat on everybody's wheel while Arvesen was up ahead winning the race. Last year during Paris Roubaix nobody on the team was happier than Cancellara for O'Grady's win. It's a team sport and Bjarne Riis wouldn't have it any other way.
If Andy Schleck get's a 3 or 4 minute gap in a future GT between him and his nearest competitor then you can bet he will become the protected rider.
During the Basso years, Ivan was the protected rider because he was head and shoulders above everybody else.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.