Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...are there any reasonable alternatives to using safety pins to fasten your ride number? I hate safety pins because they (a) tend to come unfastened mid-ride (b) trash your jersey...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll try it...

Rollo Tommassi said:
carpet tape...or spray adhesive, just don't spray it on when you're wearing the jersey! :eek:
...think I'll go for the double-sticky tape...spraying stuff on my jersey could be worse than safety pins...

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Bring Your Own

Consider bringing your own, quality safety pins.

SkiRacer55 said:
(a) tend to come unfastened mid-ride
Never had this happen to me. Your race organizer must be using some really cheesy safety pins.

SkiRacer55 said:
(b) trash your jersey...
Sharp safety pins help eliminate this. Use new, sharp safety pins. The jersey is just a tool.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I've tried many things. None work as well as safety pins. 5 usually does the trick.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
4 pins does it for me.
I've only once lost so much as 1 pin in a race. But I also lost a zipp 303 and a helmet.

seen a guy sew it on to his jersey. He only raced one series for the season so it was the same number every week...

I wouldn't advise glue or any spray adhesive. You'll toss out the breathability of the jersey in that area and good luck washing it out.

I'm also a number crinkler. I bunch it up good and several times. Then flatten it out as smooth as i can make it. Never flaps, never falls off.

I use the holes, some prefer to make their own. Some like using 8+ pins.
for all of us it just tends to become part of the ritual of the race...

·
LOOK lover
625 Posts
Don't stick the safety pins through the holes in the number. Instead, place them diagonally across the corner of the paper inwards from the holes. Going into the paper/jersey and then back out of the jersey/paper keeps them tight and prevents ripping of the jersey when you get moving during the race.

Some people advocate spray adhesives - especially for TT. This can be successful or not, depending on the particular kind of fabric your jersey uses. I did this a couple time successfully with a regular jersey, then when I got my new skinsuit the number began peeling immediately after I started my ride. I had to reach back and tear it off and stuff the number inside my skinsuit through the zipper so I could show it to the officials after the finish - I'm sure I lost some time there!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, all...

...I'm sure one or more of the above will help. FYI, I'm really good at (a) wrapping bar tape (b) cleaning and regreasing chains (c) quick flat fixes but I'm Safety Pin Challenged when it comes to race/ride numbers...couldn't you tell?

·
Registered
39 Posts
3M 77 Spray Adhesive

I've used 3M 77 Spray Adhesive for two years. Works well for me - spray the number only. Allow adhesive to get tacky (depends on humidity - here in NM that's 30 seconds), then have someone put the number on your jersey while you're wearing it. Works on jerseys and skinsuits, but I always make sure they've been washed at least once - new materials can have residuals treatments that could foul the adhesive.

Remember - don't spray both the number and the jersey or you'll get a strong bond that will be difficult to remove.

The first year I would use the adhesive on cool and warm days, & pin the number on hot days to get better "breathability." Finally started using the adhesive all the time.

I also crinkle the number first, but while ACA officials don't have a problem with that I've been scolded for "folded numbers" by USCF officials. Might be a good idea to check with your association.

Howard L. Snell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.