Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of looking. I can't answer my own stupid questions:

I have an old 1980s 531 Reynolds frame that I am trying to put an 9spd Ultegra triple crankset on. I need a bottom-pull front derailleur (105 or Ultegra) for the triple. The clamp I'm guessing is a 28.6 mm clamp size. All i find are larger clamp sizes and some reference to a "multi clamp band" for the 28.6mm. What is this band? Is it something i need to purchase separately, or does the band adjust in some way? Do I need to purchase a braze-on and some other clamp? Even clamps for the braze-ons are not 28.6mm.

Who has got good prices on triple front derailleurs?

And finally, am i going to need to worry about a 9 vs 10 speed front derailleur with a 9 spd crankset?

What gives?

· Registered
5,358 Posts
If you can, get a 9sp derailleur. The 10sp chain is a bit narrower so the derailleur cage is a bit narrower. That means more trimming. Excel was out of the bolt-on 9sp Ultegra when I was building up my bike last month, so I got a 10sp. It needs just a bit more trimming.

Also, buy a set of digital calipers from Harbor Freight. They'll be cheaper than the cost of sending back one derailleur that's the wrong size because you guessed instead of measuring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.