Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Of the favorites who were supposed to take over the leader board, only Landis is there.
Which favorites are you talking about? Leipheimer is the only real favorite who performed way below par today. Popovych and Mayo were probably sub-par but not terribly so. Hincapie as well but I feel a lot of that was due to hype rather than realistic expectations. Interestingly Rujano lost a good bit of time, but actually rode a relatively good TT besting Simoni, Mayo, and Cunego. It's a shame the mountain finishes aren't steeper. He (and all the climbers) will probably have to take a chance or two from a long way out to make up serious time.

Evans, Karpets, Menchov, Savoldelli, Moreau, Sastre, even Hincapie are all still within striking distance.

G

·
I'm wondering if Hincapie's poor ITT performance could be due to his focus on climbing and getting his weight down as low as possible. He may have lost some top end power, which would hurt in a TT. But, he's managed to get is Power/weight ratio up, so he could be a better climber this year. In any case, we see soon enough.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree

Argentius said:
This was just a ... weird TT. Landis excepted, a LOT of the folks that usually do well sucked it. I'm confused...
This was supposed to be a day for the top GC contenders to declare themselves. It seemed that just the opposite happened. With the exception of Landis as you mentioned some teams seem to be more in the dark than ever about who their leader might be. Poor Bobby Julich, that looked really bad, very painful to watch, I hope he'll be okay. CSC is really hosed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.