Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few minutes ago I won a auction on eBay for a 07 Specialized Sequoia. I was steered towards this model of Bike after visiting one of the three LBS in my town. The Salesman was very helpful and did not lose interest in helping me even after I made it clear from the start that I was "just looking". My low budget for a first bike would not swing the price of a new Sequoia and I left thinking I'd need to save some more money to aquire the bike.
Would I be out of line to offer my gratitude in cash? My thinking is that this Salesman might be on commission and he took time away from another potential sale that might have walked in by continuing to offer his expertise to me. Is there a tradition that as a Newbee I am unaware of? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
andulong said:
Maybe just a "Thank You" and you could let him sell you all the accessories you will need to go along with the new bike. Or a 12 pack of Fat Tire Ale if he drinks.

Yeah and if the bike hasnt been tuned in a while let them do the set up for you. Then by giving them this business and probably some gear they will be just as appreciative. And on top of everything if it is your intention to return to the shop again, beer is a sure way to have someone remember you. (unless they are sleeping with you, but thats a different story for a different forum.)

Enjoy the new bike!:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,116 Posts
I would think you were rude if I were the salesman and I found out you were just milking for information. Just keep your mouth shut and give the shop your future business if you really want to say thank you.

BTW- how much did you actually save on the bike? And the deal really isn't closed until the bike arrives.

Quest08 said:
A few minutes ago I won a auction on eBay for a 07 Specialized Sequoia. I was steered towards this model of Bike after visiting one of the three LBS in my town. The Salesman was very helpful and did not lose interest in helping me even after I made it clear from the start that I was "just looking". My low budget for a first bike would not swing the price of a new Sequoia and I left thinking I'd need to save some more money to aquire the bike.
Would I be out of line to offer my gratitude in cash? My thinking is that this Salesman might be on commission and he took time away from another potential sale that might have walked in by continuing to offer his expertise to me. Is there a tradition that as a Newbee I am unaware of? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
filtersweep said:
I would think you were rude if I were the salesman and I found out you were just milking for information. Just keep your mouth shut and give the shop your future business if you really want to say thank you.

BTW- how much did you actually save on the bike? And the deal really isn't closed until the bike arrives.
Actually within the first minute of conversation I told the Salesman that I was on a very limited budget and was just looking. He was nice enough to continue asking me questions about my quest for my first bike in over 38 years. I mentioned I was trying to do as much research online as I could so that I could make an informed decision. After the Salesman told me to consider the Specialized Sequoia as a possible first bike, HE told me to consider a pre-owned model due to my limited budget. I left with the mutal understanding that He would call me if he came across a good used bike or if they recieved something in trade. Please clarify what part of my encounter was showing rudeness towards the Salesman? My initial post/question was my first time writing on this Forum and I was concerned about being too wordy. Maybe I left too much info out of the initial post and wasn't clear about how up front I was regarding my circumstances. Thank you for your input, I do apreciate it.
In answer to your second question the Specialized Sequoia 08 was 850.00 at the shop. The 07 Specialized Sequoia that I purchased on eBay with about 150.00 of upgrades was 405.00 plus 75.00 for shipping. The Seller has 211+ 100% Positive Feedbacks selling Bicycles so I am hoping the transaction does go well. You are absolutely right that the "Deal" isn't a Deal until the Bike arrives and is in the condition described in the auction. By the way, my absolute max for a bike was 500.00 because I am trying to have some money left over for the Helmet, Shoes, and other essentials I've read about in this forum. With the amount of Posts that you have, I assume you are a veteran in Cycling and I look forward to any input you may have regarding my future questions. Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John Nelson said:
Sounds more like a guilt payment than a tip. But go ahead anyway.
Not a gram of guilt John, just a Newby trying to make sure it was okay in the Cycling Culture to show apreciation with cash. A few years ago while in Japan, a Clerk at a Hotel went out of his way to help me with some logistic issues and it was only after I embarrassed myself by trying to tip the Gentleman for his effort that I found out that tipping for service in Japan is an insult. Thank you for your feedback I hope you have time to reply to my future questions ( of which there will be many) in the Beginner's Corner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
99trek5200 said:
I think it is more appropriate to just go in and buy some accessories from the guy and use them for tune-ups & etc. The internet is a reality for all retailers these days.
totally agree. It's honorable that you want to do right by the salesguy and I imagine he'd be happy to accept a tip (cash or beer) but selling bikes to people that aren't going to buy them is par for the course for shop rats. that said, if you explain yourself as you have here and tip the guy on top of a small purchase (maybe a jersey or a pump) everyone will be happy and you'll have a shop to go back to.
 

·
I like Chicken
Joined
·
1,442 Posts
It's been 38 years.... already? Welcome back.

I generally am loyal to those that make an effort
to make a difference. You seem to have found
a salesperson / LBS that is there to help. Sounds
like a good place to do business.
Enjoy the ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,116 Posts
Sure, but I still think you are making far too much out of this.

I should have clarified-- many people seek information about products one place and buy where the price is right-- it is quite typical. But most people do not go back to where the gathered the information and tell the person they bought "the same thing" something elsewhere. I simply believe tipping in this case would be in bad form. It is not a tipping industry, and his purpose is to sell bikes, not give info for tips. Like many bike shop people, he must be passionate about bikes to be so generous with his time and info.

Looks like you ended up with a good and fair price for the ebay bike.

My "tip" to you as someone new: I wasted a lot of money trying to save money when I was new to biking. I purchased all sorts of clothing that didn't fit--- because they were good deals on ebay and cycling clothing sizes are extremely screwy and inconsistent. I wear everything from a US medium to an Italian XXL. Go figure.

Also, it took me a year and a half of riding an entry level budget bike before I knew I was in loving with cycling--- and I found the money to purchase my dream bike. A smart shop staff sees you as a future customer--- and there is real value to be had shopping locally for an upgraded bike.


Quest08 said:
Actually within the first minute of conversation I told the Salesman that I was on a very limited budget and was just looking. He was nice enough to continue asking me questions about my quest for my first bike in over 38 years. I mentioned I was trying to do as much research online as I could so that I could make an informed decision. After the Salesman told me to consider the Specialized Sequoia as a possible first bike, HE told me to consider a pre-owned model due to my limited budget. I left with the mutal understanding that He would call me if he came across a good used bike or if they recieved something in trade. Please clarify what part of my encounter was showing rudeness towards the Salesman? My initial post/question was my first time writing on this Forum and I was concerned about being too wordy. Maybe I left too much info out of the initial post and wasn't clear about how up front I was regarding my circumstances. Thank you for your input, I do apreciate it.
In answer to your second question the Specialized Sequoia 08 was 850.00 at the shop. The 07 Specialized Sequoia that I purchased on eBay with about 150.00 of upgrades was 405.00 plus 75.00 for shipping. The Seller has 211+ 100% Positive Feedbacks selling Bicycles so I am hoping the transaction does go well. You are absolutely right that the "Deal" isn't a Deal until the Bike arrives and is in the condition described in the auction. By the way, my absolute max for a bike was 500.00 because I am trying to have some money left over for the Helmet, Shoes, and other essentials I've read about in this forum. With the amount of Posts that you have, I assume you are a veteran in Cycling and I look forward to any input you may have regarding my future questions. Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
quest,

sounds like you realize that people's time is actually worth money. If you really valued his time and opinion you could certainly tip the gentleman that helped you. Speaking from someone who works in a shop it's a rare day to get a cash tip. Don't get me wrong beer and burritos are nice but green money sends a clear message of thanks. Plus it's not fair to assume that the guy drinks beer at all. Crazy to say it but not every one likes to drink beer.

I think a tip + future business at said shop is in order. Like everything else in life you get what you pay for and you won't get any free service from the guy on the other end of eBay. :thumbsup:

Is this out of the ordinary? yes. Will it possibly make the guy's day, probably.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top