Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I got a new quill stem for my Schwinn Traveler Fixie Project. I have some major clearance issues between the OD of the stem, and the ID of the headset nut and the ID of the steerer tube. Is this normal ? Or do I have some machining to do thanks to my purchase of a $10 stem :rolleyes: ?

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I bet that baby has an .833" old school stem.

I'd be a little concerned about taking that much off a 1" stem, better do some measuring first.

If it is indeed an .833 stem check with Harris Cyclery first to see if they have one.

Good luck with that.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Can almost guarantee that is what you have

It probably is the .833 stem that Schwinn for some unknown reason had to be different on a few models of bikes. I had an 8cm stem on my Schwinn SS Voyageur from the same era. Fortunately I was able to find a 10/11 that fit much better for me at a bike store about an hour away from me. The telling sign is the shoulder on the original, it does look like it was machined that way. If you have access to a metal lathe and can shave it down to 21mm or .833, chose how much you want sticking out of the head tube and shave below that point so that the shoulder sits on top of the headset.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya Lucky Me...

Im going to toss it on a lathe tomorrow. Depending on how it looks, wall thickness wise, I may weld a piece of round stock inside of it to be sure it won't become my dentist.

Thanks guys,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.