Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you buy yours?

I just picked up some old (translated) Russian Texts from Amazon, but there are a few more that I cant seem to find on Amazon. Anyone have any good tips on where to find old printed books that I can hoard?

·
Boobies!
8,163 Posts
Try ABE---Advanced Book Exchange--although I have not used them for technical books, they have a broad membership & decent search.

www.abebooks.com

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
Find a Russian woman. Take her to dinner and have a glass of wine. Maybe she will tell you the secrets of where the Russian bookstores are located.

There are some Russian bookstores in San Francisco. There is also a bookstore on Russian Hill.

Also, someone at Moe's in Berkeley should know. They have been selling used books for 50 years.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
BentChainring said:
Where do you buy yours?

I just picked up some old (translated) Russian Texts from Amazon, but there are a few more that I cant seem to find on Amazon. Anyone have any good tips on where to find old printed books that I can hoard?
There used to be a really good technical book store in NYC called Book Scientific, where I got lots of great stuff in the pre-internet days. But I stocked up on old technical books back in the day, so I haven't needed to do much scouring recently.

When I do need stuff like that these days, Abebooks seems to be pretty good at locating old government reports on environmental studies. Not sure how they are on Russian metallurgy.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
I saw lecture materials from Enrico Fermi's course at University of Chicago for sale at Moe's. It seemed like something a physicist might want but the next time I visited it was gone.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Art853 said:
I saw lecture materials from Enrico Fermi's course at University of Chicago for sale at Moe's. It seemed like something a physicist might want but the next time I visited it was gone.
I also get books from dead people. A friend of mine died several years back and his son gave me all his books and notes about atmospheric science. Much of it was useless, but there were some gems, including something I hadn't realized: the "Ferrell cells" (a major pattern in global atmospheric circulation which are responsible for the generally westerly direction of winds in the middle latitudes, such as the U.S. and Europe) were discovered by William Ferrell right here in Nashville and first published in the Nashville Journal of Medicine and Surgery in 1856.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
The Possessed: Adventures with Russian Books and the People Who Read Them

I saw this in City Lights today. The cover alone looked interesting and the review is great. Don't read past this next paragraph if you don't want any spoilers.

Those tales have now been expanded into this book, named after one of Dostoyevsky’s most perplexing novels, which “narrates the descent into madness of a circle of intellectuals in a remote Russian province.” It’s a descent that, to Batuman, looks a lot like grad school.

Another time, a four-day academic conference takes her to Tolstoy’s country estate, Yasnaya Polyana, where her visit is marred by Aeroflot, which has lost her luggage. Day after day, Batuman appears at the symposium in flip-flops, sweatpants and a flannel shirt. Some of the scholarly attendees assume from her ascetic garb that she is a devoted “Tolstoyan” — “that like Tolstoy and his followers I had taken a vow to walk around in sandals and wear the same peasant shirt all day and all night.” When she calls Aeroflot and pleads with a clerk to find her missing bag, the clerk sighs, “Are you familiar with our Russian phrase resignation of the soul?”

1 - 12 of 12 Posts