Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a really old road bike for $50 bucks. Took everything apart, disassembled everything and cleaned everything, sanded the frame and repainted it. Problem is, I have no brake hoods or brake cables. Do I need brake hoods? All my brake stuff says Weinmann, and need to find an interesting brake cable that has ends that look like this https://www.sjscycles.com/xxlimages/97dia_xxl.jpg

What brake cables are compatible? I don't want to have to special order old parts that cost a fortune.

I'll post pics when I'm all done with the bike, the high gloss black and stainless steel look sweet.

Thanks.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Are you using a standard drop handlebar? If you are, you might use a cyclo-cross brake lever with whatever modern cable will work with it. If you want to use aero brake levers that fit into the end of a bar instead of plugs for a single speed look on a base bar, that could also get rid of the special cable issue.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Assuming you can use the current levers:
I am pretty sure the only thing special about the cables is the ferrel that goes into the lever. The cable ends of current road cables should work fine. Phone around to a few local bike shops and they may have a cuople of those style of ferrels. If you are lucky you might find a set of hoods for the levers on eBay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies, I'm glad I don't have to buy special vintage parts. After looking on the net for a while, I found out that most current Dia Compe brake systems use the same type of cable end.
I've seen some hoods on ebay, but all are priced at about $20, is that for real? It's just a piece of rubber!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.